Thursday, November 17, 2011

Overwhelmed? Not this girl.

I think "overwhelmed" might have been one of the most overused words in this blog to date. Goodness knows I have reason to feel that way much of the time. Take this month, for instance. In addition to my regularly scheduled life of single parenting and piano teaching, I spoke at the GMTA conference and committed to making and selling 300 bracelets in 30 days and writing 50,000 words of a novel during the month of November. Not only that, there are two books I have promised author friends to review, and I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow.

It's enough to make a sane person crazy.

But then I read Danielle LaPorte's blog post, strike "overwhelmed" from your vocabulary," and it changed my entire outlook. The combination of her words, "you've got what it takes to meet life with more giving" and ridding my life of toxic relationships has catapulted me into a new phase of productivity.

Like my blog partner Lindy Chaffin Start, I am unstoppable.

Check back tomorrow for the first of my seven days of Thanksgiving.

7 comments:

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Ridding yourself of toxic relationships is great. You should come first.

Just a thought, but could it be possible you need a new word in your vocabulary? Ever heard of overcommitted, or the phrase "just say no"?

You're giving and wonderfully generous and it's admirable that you want to do more, but don't let it take over.

If I'm off base, ignore. :)

Pam Asberry said...

The parenting and teaching are not optional, but the truth is all the rest was my idea. Speaking at the conference, beading, writing - those are for ME. That's why I refuse to complain about having too much to do. Because it's all good stuff. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have gotten myself out from under in order to get to the place where I CAN do those things. It might not look that way but, believe me, I HAVE learned how to say no! ;-)

S.M. Carrière said...

I heart this post. Gooooooo Pam! *waves pompoms

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. What would I do without you?

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I'm glad to hear it, Pam. If you're going to be so busy, at least it's things you enjoy. :D

Pam Asberry said...

Amen, Carol! :-D

Tami Brothers said...

Way to go, Pam. I'm going to read the blog you linked to about striking the word from your vocabulary. I need to work at that more, myself.

I think you are doing a great job.

I agree with Carol on the "no" think. That is one of my biggest problems over the last four years. I'm getting better at saying it, but I still try to fill up every minute of my day and often forget to schedule that much needed down time.

Hope you are enjoying the vacation. I'm sure you need it and maybe it will help energize you enough to take on the next group of tasks. :)

Tami