Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving, Day 1: Thanksgiving Vacation


Tonight I am in Tampa, Florida, looking forward to boarding a cruise ship tomorrow and spending the next five days sailing to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It was either book a cruise or lose the $400 I had sitting in my account with the cruise line due to canceling my spring break cruise when I couldn't come up with the final payment. And this one was surprisingly affordable, mostly because it returns to port on Thanksgiving Day, when most people would rather join their loved ones for a feast than spend eight hours sitting in the car.

Resolved: no more vacations or extraneous spending of any kind until my credit cards are paid off and I have some money in the bank. As a self-employed single mom, my financial situation is precarious, and I've got to be more creative about finding ways to earn and save money.

But tonight I'm going to lay my worries aside and give thanks for this lovely hotel room and the opportunity to spend some quality time in the sun with my fifteen year old son. I reject fear. I claim joy.

6 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Hell to the yeah--you and your boy have an excellent time! God will provide and it would have been a shame to lose that deposit when you could be having a great adventure. Enjoy and report back!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Julee. I'll be back on Thursday with a full report!

loves to dive said...

Hope you enjoy your cruise. I've been to both Coz and GC on diving trips so I know you will enjoy them. If you get a chance to get away from the cruise dock in GC, wander around a bit, the other side of the island is quiet and pretty. Great diving in both places.

Pam Asberry said...

We have been to both Cozumel and Grand Cayman before too. Unfortunately we will be stuck in or near port this cruise, as I have no extra cash for shore excursions or wandering afar. We will probably take a taxi to Playa Mia Beach in Cozumel but we might just stay on the ship in Grand Cayman, although we swam with stingrays the last time we were there and that was a blast. My son has been known to go snorkeling, but neither of us dives; maybe another time. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Buffy said...

I'm so glad you have this time, Pam. <3 Fiona (my seven-year-old) and I have recently started talking about trying to get to Costa Rica soon. (I spent time there in college and consider my host family true family. Fiona has only met my oldest sister there.)

Pam Asberry said...

I have been to Costa Rica just once, Buffy, and what I saw was beautiful. I hope you and your daughter find a way to visit soon.