Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving, Day 3: My Friends

My friends are my estate.
~ Emily Dickinson

What I lack in possessions, I make up for in friends. I do not use the word lightly - I understand the difference between a mere acquaintance and a true friend - and I am blessed to have many loving friends in my life. Thanks to Facebook, I have reconnected with friends from elementary school, high school and college; when we chat on the phone, it's as if the years have completely melted away. Also, I have stayed in touch with a handful of people from my married years and forged many new friendships since my divorce: through home schooling, piano teaching, professional affiliations, personal pursuits, and even online, with fellow writers and bloggers.

Regardless of where they come from, my friends share in my joys, offer shoulders to cry on, lift me up when I am down, and encourage me in my dreams. Romantic love may elude me forever, but I could not survive without my friends.

You know who you are. I am thankful for each and every one of you.

No comments: