Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving, Day 4: My Job

I started taking piano lessons when I was seven years old. I enjoyed it very much and quickly decided that  I would become a piano teacher myself when I grew up. Fast forward to 1982: I earned a master's degree in piano performance and piano pedagogy and established my first home studio in Peoria, Illinois; I also taught eight years in Raleigh, North Carolina. I took some time off after moving to Atlanta; my ex traveled a lot, our children were small, and I began home schooling. But after my divorce in 2001, I went back to my first love and I haven't looked back since.

I never intended for piano teaching to support a family and being self-employed has its drawbacks. But the fact is this career allowed me to stay home with my children and produce an income while doing what I do best: sharing the joy of music with others.

I am thankful for all my students - present, past and future - and for their wonderful families who entrusted their music education to me.

No comments: