Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Wobble, Baby

Carnival Inspiration
My Thanksgiving cruise started as all great cruises always do, with a sail-away party on the pool deck


complete with a steel drum band


and a bon voyage cocktail crowned by a cheerful paper umbrella.


For the first time ever, we had a window in our cabin. What a treat!


The food was fabulous. We tried some new dishes, like these alligator fritters


and feasted on all our favorites, like this lobster tail during formal night dinner.


The ship docked on Monday in Grand Cayman and on Tuesday Cozumel. I wanted to swim with dolphins and parasail and go shopping but my budget wouldn't allow any of that. Instead, we wasted away in Margaritaville in Grand Cayman


and on the beach in Cozumel.

Playa Mia 
And when we couldn't take any more sunshine, we sought shelter at Senor Frog's.


We made some new friends

He stole Nathan's sunglasses!
Mary Beth and Tony, who shared our table at dinner.
but this was the closest I came to holiday romance.

This dude was fine for a day, but he was no Jack Sparrow.
I'm not big on the Las Vegas style shows and comedy acts, but I danced at every available opportunity--at the sail away party, at the midnight Mexican buffet, and in the disco--doing all my favorites: the electric slide, the Cupid shuffle, the cha-cha slide. I even learned something new.


If I ever get married again, we are SO doing the wobble at the reception.

* * *

I have had some amazing cruise experiences over the years. I have gone behind the scenes with staff members, done some thrilling shore excursions, brought home beautiful jewelry, pottery and artwork. Once I even fell in love with and eventually became engaged to a stranger I danced with at a deck party. I wouldn't have missed any of that. But the boring truth is that  this was the most restful, relaxing cruise I have ever been on. I whiled away many happy hours simply simply lying by the pool, reading and dozing. Somehow, it was enough to relax deeply and bring nothing home but memories, to simply BE on a cruise. I think there is a powerful lesson there. 

And you know what else I learned? I may wobble but I won't fall down.

13 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Love. It. I agree--we're so wobbling.

You needed and deserved the relaxation and time with your son. So glad you enjoyed and thanks for sharing!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Julee. I just hope I can hold onto that peaceful feeling!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
How wonderful you just got "to be". It is a good reminder. The cruise sounds like fun. Here's a toast to many more.

Sia

S.M. Carrière said...

Sometimes that's the best thing in the world - to just be. I'm so glad you had a wonderful, relaxing time.

Pam Asberry said...

I'll drink to that, Sia! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. It was just what I needed.

Paulette said...

I love cruises, in fact we're planning on going next March. They're so relaxing,fun and the only time hubby will dance every time he hears music!

Pam Asberry said...

Be sure to brush up on your wobbling, Paulette. It's all over the cruise ships these days! ;-)

Sandy Elzie said...

What a fun blog! The Wobble....maybe next year at M&M?

Enjoyed this.

Sandy Elzie said...

Oh, forgot to mention that I loved all the pictures...especially the pirate...you're right, he ain't no Jack Sparrow. (g)

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, Sandy, we MUST do the Wobble next year at M&M! I'm going to start practicing now! ;-)

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I love cruises and enjoyed your pictures. So glad you got to relax for awhile.

*cracking my whip* Now get to work!

;)

Pam Asberry said...

I have an idea, Carol; what about a PFHT cruise? And hey, there's no need to crack your whip; I have been working my little you-know-what off since I got home; I even sent two queries yesterday. :-)