Thursday, December 22, 2011

Do What (Only) You Can


Today did not go as expected.


My house is out of control; in my effort to reclaim it, I started deep cleaning the kitchen this morning. But then my 15yo decided he wanted pancakes for breakfast, so I made pancakes and caught up with him while he ate; he has been very scarce since school ended last Friday. I kept trying to return to my chores, but he didn't want me to leave.


So I stayed.


Also, my journaling has been very spotty this month. I was well on my way to catching up when my 24yo stopped by for a visit. I kept trying to return to my writing, but my son had a lot to talk about, from camera equipment to what to buy Grandpa for Christmas.


So we talked.


After he left, I decided I would spend the rest of the day organizing my craft supplies. But then I got a call from a local person needing some jewelry for a last-minute Christmas gift, necessitating a trip to my local bead shop, which happens to be going out of business on Friday. It took some time to say good-bye.


Long story short? I am on my way to getting my beading supplies organized - the sewing, knitting and scrapbooking supplies will have to wait - and I will pick up my journal where I left off tomorrow. But today I took care of the most important things. Like Danielle LaPorte says:


You can only do what ONLY YOU can do.
Do that.
The universe will configure around your very best efforts.
Willingly.


Besides, it's my Christmas vacation.


What is it that only you can do? Can you show up in the moment and let everything else go?

11 comments:

Linsey Lanier said...

Oh wow, Pam. How did you know just what I needed to hear? Hubby is sick and it was our anniversary today. Instead of going out to our favorite celebration restaurant, we spent it lying around the house. What a bummer. I dabbled at my writing, but just don't feel inspired today. Your post means a lot right now. Thanks.

Pam Asberry said...

Oh, Linsey, I am sorry that your husband is sick and it is your anniversary to boot. So today you took care of him; tomorrow, you can catch up on the writing and go out to dinner. (((HUGS)))

Kathy said...

Good post. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kathy. I just say what's on my heart and hope it will resonate. Happy Holidays to you and your girls!

SAIDFRAZ said...

The most important thing you did today .... spend time with your children. But, you knew that already 'cause you're a good mom!

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, Sheri, although it doesn't put a dime in my pocket, there is no better investment of my time than spending it with my children! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

OOPS, I meant *SHERRI* - with two R's! :-)

Tami Brothers said...

You know, some times days like this make for the best memories. I like your attitude. I'm sure your kids and friends appreciated the time you gave them. Not everyone would have done it.

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

There was a time in my life, Tami, when I wouldn't have done it, either. Maybe I *HAVE* learned a thing or two over the years... ;-)

Denise said...

Sounds like you did the most important stuff. People first stuff second. What a great day.

Pam Asberry said...

It really WAS a great day, Denise. And much more memorable than if I had kept my nose to the grindstone. I must remember.