Saturday, December 3, 2011

So THAT'S what Christmas is all about...

Go ahead and hate me, but I love that local radio station that plays nothing but holiday music between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anyway, I was listening a couple of mornings ago, and the deejays were entertaining a burning question from a caller. Apparently, this woman had a neighbor with a yard full of Christmas decorations; she said the bright lights were keeping her from sleeping at night, and she was wondering if it would be okay to ask the neighbors to douse the lights.

Every single caller who responded called this woman a "Scrooge" or a "Grinch" and said something along the lines of "seeing the children's faces light up when they see those shiny lights, well, that's what Christmas is all about." One caller even offered to go to K-Mart and buy MORE lights and inflatables to enhance the offending neighbor's display, just to teach the whiner a lesson.

Aren't most children in bed by, say, ten or ten-thirty at night? And just call me silly, but *I* thought the meaning of Christmas had something to do with a virgin birth and "peace on earth, goodwill towards men." I am all for shiny lights and outlandish displays, but is keeping my neighbor awake at night promoting peace or generating goodwill?

What do you think?

8 comments:

R.R. said...

You've got to see this house in our neighborhood - I think during the Christmas season Hartsfield Airport uses it for a navigational tool. I've taken pics but they just don't do it justice. I enjoy it twice a day because its dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home. I think they do turn it off later in the night,as anyone should!!!

Tami Brothers said...

Been there. But I do love the displays. My dad was really big into the big plastic things in the yard. He had hundreds, seriously. He started putting them up weeks before Thanksgiving, only lighting them for the first time Thanksgiving night. I remember that so well. Neighbors would complain because of the traffic (they lived at the end of a dirt road that rarely got any traffic except at that time of year). People could see the lights from the road and his yard soon became the place to go to view the lights each year.

I know this is a bit over the top, but now that he has Alzheimer's and can no longer do this, I miss it. When I see an over the top yard with lots of lights, it reminds me of the person he used to be and the excitement he got every time he found another gaudy plastic Santa. LOL..

I know this isn't really where you were going with this blog post, but I just wanted to point out to also think about the person who decorated the house. Maybe they have their own reasons for keeping it going through the night. Like my dad (a person who rarely showed any involvement in his kids' lives), maybe that is the only way they could really show their kids how much he loved them.

Julee J. Adams said...

You are exactly right, Pam. The caller should work with the neighbor and the other callers who were haters should have stepped back to really hear what they were saying. RR--my husband joked one time he wanted to have enough lights to "brown out" the neighborhood and that the airport would call telling us to cut it out, but we've never done anything like that.
Haven't even put up a tree larger than a table top the past couple of years. I am going to go out and do some toy shopping to donate to Toys for Tots and my hubby is working the Santa Clothes Club telethon this year, as always. We have much to be thankful for and THAT is what it's all about. Thanks, Pam.

Pam Asberry said...

I enjoy the lights too, RR - and agree that they should go off at some point later in the night! Thanks for replying.

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you for sharing your memories of your dad, Tami. And in a way your story proves my point. It is obvious his heart was in the right place, and if a neighbor came over and asked him to turn the lights off because they were disturbing her sleep, he would have no problem accommodating. As for the neighbors who complained about the traffic, well, THEY were grinches! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.

Pam Asberry said...

I did big bang-up celebrations when my kids were smaller, Julee, but we do everything on a much smaller scale now. I would like to get a real tree but I just don't think I can justify it with my budget right now. I will probably settle for my little 4-foot prelit tree a piano student gave me last year. Like you, though, I am going to focus on what I have and not what I don't and find ways to make the season brighter for those who are less fortunately. Like we say, we have MUCH to be thankful for!

LisaAnn said...

Definitely a great point for discussion! Reminds me of that movie "Deck the Halls" with Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito. I do love a big Christmas display, but I also love darkness when it's time to go to sleep... ;)

Pam Asberry said...

I don't think I saw that movie, LisaAnn; I will definitely check it out! Thank you so much for joining this conversation!