Saturday, February 4, 2012

What's it all about?

I don't like to think of Pam Asberry as being self-important. But I guess there's something a little bit inherently narcissistic about being a blogger, about sharing one's thoughts on this and that and the other and assuming that anyone out there wants to hear what you have to say. Truth be told, I like it when I find out that something I have expressed in this forum resonates with one of my readers. And I love it when a follower suggests that I might even have a talent for writing--after all, I dream of earning a living as a wordsmith.

Well, this week I received the ultimate compliment. My friend Denise referenced me in her blog post (click HERE), listing my name right alongside that of Oprah. And Job. It was an honor. And a challenge.

Because, like Denise, I WANT TO BE MORE THAN I AM.

Towards that end, I am resuming my blog Between Birthdays. To be honest, I enjoyed the challenge of trying something new every day. And I have tried many new things since I stopped writing the blog. So I am just going to pick up where I left off. Starting today.

Meanwhile, I am trying to sort out the direction for this blog. When I started it, I thought I would write mostly about my crafts, knitting and beading and such. Then I began working on my first novel, and have shared my journey as a writer. But I don't want this to become a book review site or an advice column for aspiring authors. There are too many of those out there already, as far as I'm concerned.

I want it this to be a place where I can share my real experiences as a real person: a single mom raising three sons while navigating the treacherous waters of parenting, working, and living my dreams. It ain't easy. So if you would, please leave a comment at the end of this post and let me know what YOU want to read about. It would help me tremendously. Thank you very much!

8 comments:

Melanie Rickmar said...

I like to read about the things you do, Pam. Writing, organizing, cooking, holidays, family gatherings, trips, etc.

I also like the blogs like tonight, where you take stock of your life and what you are doing. I especially like the blog posts where you write about things and people from the past and post old photographs. I loved the post about the David Cassidy concert and I liked the one you did at Christmas, when you had pictures of your favorite ornaments and of your boys when they were little.

You are a very talented writer and I'm sure you will publish books one of these days. In the meantime, you have readers who enjoy your blog! :)

Eliwrites said...

Pam, I love what you write about. I love personal blogs that tell me about a person, whether it is a book you read, the knitting you do, how you get your kids out the door in the morning, how you deal with being a single parent, how you deal with an illness in yourself or others, or how you deal with the fears of everyday life. I think you touch on some of these points pretty frequently.

I am glad to hear that you are starting back up with the new things blog (I just read it and can't remember it...How sad is that?). I like hearing about all of the new things you try because it makes me think I might actually find the courage to try new things as well.

Natalie said...

I agree with the others. I like to read about your challenges and celebrations....just life....whatever it may be at any given moment. And you are an interesting writer :)

Julee J. Adams said...

I agree--when you try to "force" your writing into something it doesn't want to be that's exactly the way it sounds.

We want to join you on your journey to where you're supposed to be. I love the ideas you had in your birthday blog and it inspired me to try some new things too.

Do what YOU want and need to do. We'll follow you along the way, offering little nudges along the way, if you promise to return the favor. K?

pat said...

If you think about your previous blogs, which ones pumped the most energy into you? What issues were you most passionate about? Go from there.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks to each of you for your helpful suggestions and amazing support; it will be very helpful to me moving forward. And I'm glad I am doing "Between Birthdays" again; I missed it, too, but I had no idea others did. I'm off to post there right now!

S.M. Carrière said...

I adore your blog as it is at the moment, and it appears to be a chronicle of your experiences. I find that intensely interesting (but not in a creepy stalker kind of way. Promise), and it's what keeps me coming.

It's like sitting down to tea with a good friend!

Pam Asberry said...

LOL, S.M.! Thanks for your feedback. That's kind of what writing this blog feels like to me, too--sitting down to tea with a group of friends. So maybe I am on the right track, after all!