Saturday, April 7, 2012

Atlanta Color Run Encore

Today I ran the craziest, most colorful 5K of my life: the Atlanta Color Run Encore, held at the Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, GA in support of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. At the beginning of the event, I looked like this.

My brother Eric and me in black and white.
Three miles later, I looked like this.

Colorized!
This event is less about speed and more about having a wacky good time with friends and family - and literally thousands of perfect strangers. Here in Atlanta, we were blessed with a perfect day to be outdoors, sunny and warm. The atmosphere was pure party; there was an enthusiastic announcer who kept us organized at the beginning and the end of the race and loudspeakers blasting feel-good music from start to finish. The point, of course, was to become a cheerful mess, so at the conclusion of each kilometer, we were blitzed with powdered color (a cornstarch based formula, 100% natural and safe) by volunteers. But the real fun was at the finish line. Each participant received a color as part of the race packet and saved it until the end, where every fifteen minutes the announcer counted us down to a massive color throw producing a magnificent rainbow cloud that was a joy to behold. This video will give you some idea what the experience is like.


If you ever have the opportunity to participate in a Color Run - and they happen all across the United States; you can see the tour schedule HERE - grab it and go. You won't be sorry.

My sister-in-law SeDonna, Eric and me.
We are already looking forward to next year!

4 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

That looks like so much fun! Wish we had something similar here in Canada!

Pam Asberry said...

Now you have the perfect excuse to come to Atlanta, S.M.... ;-)

Janel said...

This looks like a blast! My son is thinking about running cross-country next year, so I showed him the video.

Pam Asberry said...

My family and I made a pact to do at least one running event every month in 2012, Janel, and I have to say this one will be hard to beat in terms of pure fun. My 16yo was unable to participate due to his broken arm, but we will definitely count him in next year! :-)