Thursday, April 19, 2012

I guess he told me...

From an email I received earlier this evening from a connection made Monday through an online dating site:

Well, I'm not embarrassed to admit when I make a mistake. I thought you had class. I was obviously mistaken...If there was anything in my last e-mail that turned you off, then you have a problem. And whatever the reason, your rudeness in not responding at all, again, shows a total lack of class. All you had to say was, "Steve, sorry, I'm not interested."


Any single person over the age of 45 (maybe 40) who doesn't realize that the pickings get slimmer as you get older is an idiot. It is not about what YOU have to offer, it is about what is AVAILABLE on the other side. and part of that is "networking,"which means being nice to EVERYONE since you don't know who you will meet through that person, even if he or she is not your cup of tea. And when you are NOT nice, it usually will come back to haunt you. I will not go into my attributes, but trust me, age 52, you screwed up...


I will not waste any more time with you than writing this note...You know, if you don't know how to conduct yourself with some class, you really should stay home. And I'm sure the pickings are great in Dacula. bye-bye!

Ahem.

My reply?

This week I have been dealing with a pretty intense family situation on top of my regularly scheduled life--working full time, taking care of my kids, and keeping up my training for the half marathon I am running on Sunday. Finally, I have a few minutes to settle in with my laptop; I have actually looked forward to taking time to compose a thoughtful reply to the email I received from you Tuesday evening. I see now that won't be necessary. If the choice is between being 52 and single and being involved with an egotistical, verbally abusive male, well, thank you for sparing me the agony of decision. 

And now, I will not waste any more time with HIM.

24 comments:

Melanie Rickmar said...

What a jerk. It had only been a few days.

Pam Asberry said...

Barely 48 hours, Melanie. I usually give people at least THREE days before I go popping off my mouth, LOL!

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I'd say you had a narrow escape. Count your blessings.

Love your response, BTW.

Claire said...

Wow! At least you discovered how big of a jerk he was before you got too involved. Amazing. Personally, I think you handled the situation with a lot of class!

Pam Asberry said...

That's what I'm thinking, Carol. Glad you enjoyed my response. ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Claire! I appreciate that! :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

*sigh* Don't you detect the note of desperation in his voice? He is not worthy, so please don't waste another minute worrying or even thinking about it. Good riddance. It will teach him not to mess with a writer/blogger, huh?

Pam Asberry said...

Maybe, Julee. He actually blocked my email address (!) so I wasn't able to reply via email, but I found him on Facebook and sent him a message there. I will admit I was upset at first - mostly because I generally try to be a decent person - but I am pretty well over it now. :-)

Michele Stefanides said...

Well, then, huh? You sure dodged a bullet with that guy. I think you were nicer in your reply than you ever needed to be! It's so nice to see the strength you showed in your reply, classy lady! ;-)

Lindy said...

Ah, men. That self-centered ----- wouldn't know a classy woman if she bit of his ------. Good lord spare us all from the crazy. XO

Debbie Kaufman said...

How serendipitous that you couldn't reply sooner! You deserve much better :)

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Michele. I thought the classiest response might be no response but the writer in me couldn't resist, LOL!

Pam Asberry said...

Now THAT's what I should have told him, Lindy! Thanks for the giggles! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

I hadn't thought of it like that before, Deb. But you are absolutely right. And thanks for your vote of confidence. :-)

Sheila Anderson said...

Sounds like you should be thankful his true colors showed right away and that you hadn't wasted any of your time and effort on this impatient and abusive male. Hang in there, your frog worth kissing will eventually show up :) This guy was obviously a big fat toad ;)

Pam Asberry said...

I think you're right, Sheila. And I have already kissed enough toads for one lifetime! ;-)

S.M. Carrière said...

W.
T.
F?!

You are so lucky not to be involved with THAT guy. No wonder he's single! As if being part of a smaller selection pool is an excuse for terrible behaviour!

I'd rather be single forever!

Ugh! I have to say, your response was wonderfully composed. I'd have been much more foul...

 Casey Geyer said...

Tell 'em!

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., my favorite line of his was, "I will not go into my attributes, but trust me, age 52, you screwed up..." LOLOL! I sure don't FEEL like I screwed up! ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Casey! :-)

Tami Brothers said...

I agree with everyone, he is soooo not worth your time. Everything happens for a reason and your inability to reply sooner brought out his true colors. He talks about class... He should look in the mirror. ;)

Pam Asberry said...

Some people aren't capable of personal reflection, Tami. I have a feeling this Steve is one of them. I'm SO glad to know that now! :-)

Kelly Ann said...

Well written response!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kelly Ann. I had fun writing it! ;-)