Monday, April 30, 2012

Zooma Atlanta


On Sunday, April 22nd, I ran my first ever half marathon - Zooma Atlanta, held at Lake Lanier in Buford.

My friend Denise ran a half marathon a few weeks back and blogged about it (click HERE). I hoped that I would be able to share my experience in a similar way.

Alas, all I remember is the pain.

Somewhere between miles 9 and 10, my left knee gave out on me. Up until then, I was mostly running. After that point, I was mostly limping. At mile 11-ish, the pain became so excruciating I actually started to cry.

I kept walking.

And I FINISHED.

Which is all I ever wanted. And all that really matters, as far as I am concerned.

What is your dream? GO FOR IT. Don't stop until you reach the finish line.

Even if it hurts.

8 comments:

Denise said...

Only .17% of the population can claim they have run a half marathon. Welcome to a VERY exclusive club. Well done, my friend.

S.M. Carrière said...

Eeek! I'm sorry you were in such pain! And also, good on you for sticking it out to the finish. That is pure awesome!

Patricia said...

So proud of you, girl.
If someone had predicted 30 years ago that you would run this many miles, I would have said, "no fricken way."
AND... your knee pain?!! As if we didn't already have enough pain in our lives. What determination to hang on to the end.

Pam Asberry said...

Seriously, Denise? Wow, you just made my day. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., I would have finished that half marathon if it meant CRAWLING across the finish line. I mean it!

Pam Asberry said...

Just goes to show an old dog CAN learn new tricks, Pat. Thanks for being an inspiration all these years.

Dan said...

Quite an acomplishment. I'm proud of you.

Pam Asberry said...

Aw! Thanks, Dan! I'm proud of me, too! :-)