Friday, May 25, 2012

Go Braves!


On my last birthday, I vowed to try something new every day for a year and blog about it. I called that blog Between Birthdays, and I did a good job with it for several weeks. But then it started feeling like a tedious chore and it seemed that everything I tried didn't turn out to be great material for writing. However, I am still resolved to try something new as frequently as possible, so I will share my most fun and interesting experiences here every Thursday - in keeping with Thursday's theme, Keeping It Fresh.

* * *

Tonight I went to my very first ever Gwinnett Braves baseball game. The Gwinnett Braves are a minor league team in the International League, the Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Games take place at Coolray Field; located just minutes from my house, this beautiful park seats approximately 10,000 and has an old-fashioned feel despite all the modern technology.

I was the special guest of my son and two of his friends.

Aladdin, Thumper and Tigger
We had a wonderful time. Besides being convenient, it was much more affordable than going to a major league game; we got to have the experience of being a part of America's favorite pastime at a fraction of the cost. The crowd was sparse but enthusiastic; the food was tasty. Sure, the night had its disappointments; we never made it on the big screen, we didn't catch any fly balls, and our team lost.

Our conclusion? We must attend another game really, really soon.

6 comments:

Josh Geyer said...

I love the Gwinnett Braves. The time I went was actually the first time I've had fun at a baseball game.

Pam Asberry said...

That's awesome, Josh. Maybe we can all go together one night this summer.

Patricia said...

What fun!
Keep going...hold out for those fireworks. LOL

Dating Chat Rooms said...

Usually minor league games are less spectacular than monsters games.

Pam Asberry said...

That's the plan, Pat; keep going until I see fireworks.

There might be a metaphor for life in there... ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

That's probably true, Dating Chat Rooms, but I've been to a few rather dull major league games. And I experienced a real sense of community, a kind of intimacy, at the Gwinnett Braves game. To each his own, right?