Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Travelogue, Part 3: Taha'a


Something Gail ate for dinner Sunday night disagreed with her so I was on my own for my Monday morning shore excursion in beautiful Taha'a. I left with my group in a motorized outrigger canoe and visited Poerani, a black pearl farm,


where our knowledgeable guide shared the ins and outs of Tahitian black pearls and how they are cultured. Click HERE to read all about it.




At the conclusion of the tour, there was time for shopping. I looked at necklaces, and while the pearls themselves were beautiful, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the finished jewelry. So I decided to wait.


Our next stop was a secluded blue lagoon for thirty minutes of snorkeling. I don't snorkel, so I sat in the boat and caught up in my journal.


Our final destination was Motu Mahana, Paul Gauguin's private beach, for a Polynesian BBQ.


Gail met me there and took me on a brief tour of the motu

Coconut trees.
It was impossible to take a bad picture!
I loved the symmetry of these two trees.
Sometimes it's cloudy, sometimes it's clear.
before I loaded my plate with food



and grabbed a Hinano draft beer from my favorite bartender

Ernesto!
and settled into a beach chair to enjoy a delicious lunch.

The view from my chair.
Gail, who was still under the weather, returned to the ship after lunch


while I spent a couple of hours on the beautiful beach reading in the sun and swimming in the crystal clear water.


Then it was time for me to get back on the ship. I sat on the deck and watched the beautiful sunset before we set sail for Bora Bora.



Exhausted from the late night before and the long (but completely soul-satisfying) day in the sun, I went alone to L'Etoile Restaurant and enjoyed another fabulous meal

Shiraz.
Escargots.
Corn chowder.
Salad of arugula, apples and beets.

Salmon with bearnaise sauce and vegetables.
"Gaugines Favorite Dessert" - chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, and vanilla ice cream.
Capuccino!
They brought cookies with the coffee every night.
before heading to the cabin and calling it a night. I wanted to be in top form for my day at the beach in Bora Bora. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow!

4 comments:

LisaAnn said...

Oh my gosh, you are there already! Can I just tell you how jealous I am of you right now??? ;)

Seriously, I'm so happy you're on this incredible vacation. I can't wait to hear how refreshed and relaxed and rejuvenated you feel when you return!

Pam Asberry said...

I'm there and back already, LisaAnn. And the truth is I was exhausted when I returned and had to jump with both feet right back into my crazy, busy life. But I wouldn't have missed Tahiti for anything!

S.M. Carrière said...

So pretty! Oh, I'm so glad you went. It looks awesome!

Pam Asberry said...

Paul Gauguin's private motu might be the most beautiful beach I have ever been on, S.M. It was truly awesome!