Thursday, June 21, 2012

Travelogue, Part 4: Bora Bora, Day 1

Bora Bora. Just like in the movies.
Tuesday morning, June 5th, the MS Paul Gaugauin dropped anchor in Bora Bora, a picture postcard kind of place.

I started the day with a chocolate croissant and a handful of mixed nuts


and a rainbow.


Then Gail and I caught the tender to the pier


where we picked up a bus and then another tender to the Intercontinental Bora Bora Resort, located between the "two hearts" of Motu Piti Aau, a coral island on the barrier reef.



This was one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. 




The water was magical, changing colors from green to turquoise to indigo as I stretched my eyes over the horizon.


But up close it was crystal clear, so transparent I could easily see the brightly colored fish that swam beneath the surface.


It is obvious why this resort is a popular wedding destination.

The mother of bride is looking on.
A two-course lunch at the poolside restaurant was included in the price of our excursion.


Although we booked separately, since Gail and I were staying in the same stateroom we were treated as a couple. Our fellow passengers laughed with us when we showed them our guest pass. Our waiter, though, didn't crack a smile. "After all, it is 2012," he said.

Mr. & Mrs. Asberry.
Decisions, decisions...
Although some of our fellow diners were a little unusual

There were tiny pigeons everywhere.
we enjoyed the breathtaking view


and the delicious food.

Lagoon fish with coconut vanilla sauce, pureed veggies, fried rice.
Raspberry something with vanilla ice cream.
After several languorous hours of sun, sand and sea, it was time to return to the ship and dress for dinner.

L'Etoile Resturant.
It probably goes without saying that I didn't have time to get hungry between meals on this vacation. But that didn't stop me from eating.

Crab souffle.
Vichyssoise.
Grilled tuna and veggies.
Raspberry something.
After dinner, I made my way to the piano bar where the talented Ruben Ramos surprised me with an arrangement of my current favorite song, A Thousand Years, which I had mentioned to him when we chatted in the disco on Sunday night. It brought tears to my eyes. Then I made my way to the Grand Salon where cruise director Michael Shapiro presented A New York Cabaret. He was splendid.

Michael Shapiro and Me
Following the show, I made a little mischief in the disco before heading to bed. After all, I had another day of adventure in Bora Bora to look forward to. Come back tomorrow to learn more about this spectacular island!

11 comments:

Natalie said...

Watch out! First she books the honeymoon suite with a woman in Augusta, then she goes on a romantic cruise with another woman in Tahiti!

Native American Gypsy said...

It sounds lovely there, you Scarlett woman (judging by the previous comment). Glad you had a wonderful time! Can't wait for the final (sadly) installment.

S.M. Carrière said...

Le sigh. It looks amazing.

Pam Asberry said...

LOL, Natalie! ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Things are not always what they seem, Gypsy! Natalie is a colleague of mine; we always room together at the state piano teacher's conference, and two years ago the hotel booked us in the honeymoon suite, complete with a king sized bed and a jacuzzi tub perched in the corner. The only other available room was a smoking room, so we kept our "luxury" suite. Fortunately there was a sofa, too! ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Also, Gypsy, there will be at least two more posts about my trip; Part 4 will conclude tomorrow with Day 2 in Bora Bora, leaving Moorea for Part 5 - and since we were there two days, that one might require two installments, as well!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for coming along with me, S.M.!

Tami Brothers said...

These are beautiful pictures, Pam! They look like the professional photos you see all over the internet. Is it really that perfect???? :)

I love your adventure. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Can't wait to see tomorrow.

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Tami. Yes, it really is that perfect. I took these pictures with a tiny pocket camera. This is truly the most beautiful place I have ever visited.

Native American Gypsy said...

Glad to hear about more posting of your vacation! And I hope you didn't take my scarlet woman crack seriously. If so, I apologize, there was no offense meant.

Pam Asberry said...

Absolutely zero offense taken, Gypsy! Thank you for stopping by again!