Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jumping on the Juicing Bandwagon

I took the plunge and joined Costco a couple of weeks ago, and somehow the Jack LaLanne juicer found its way into my cart. Normally I would spend some time researching before making such a large purchase, but this was my first trip to Costco, and I succumbed to a LOT of temptation that day.  If I had it to do over again, I would probably buy this Breville juicer, but so far I am pleased with my purchase. 


It took me several days to work up the courage to read the instructions, wash all the parts, and figure out how to put them back together and operate the machine. Four carrots, two apples, and a few minutes later, this is what I ended up with.




It was DELICIOUS! I had quite a mess to clean up afterwards, but it was totally worth it. Ever since I read Kris Carr's book Crazy Sexy Diet, I have been intrigued with the idea of juicing. Check out this blog post she wrote on July 16th and you just might become a follower of hers, too.


I posted about my experience on Facebook; a friend of mine who has been juicing for a while suggested that I add a die-sized piece of ginger and a lime the next time for a little extra "kick." Sounds great, doesn't it? And his wife shared this recipe with me (thanks, Jennifer!)


GAZPACHO JUICE

4 plum tomatoes
1 large cucumber
2 stalks celery
1 red bell pepper
1/4 small red onion
2 cups parsley, leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
1 lime

I bought the ingredients earlier this evening and plan to try it for lunch tomorrow. 

Do you juice? Any recipes you would like to share?

2 comments:

Leslie K. said...

If you haven't done it yet, watch the movie, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." There is also a website - I think it's called "jointhereboot" or something like that.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Leslie! I visited the website and plan to watch the movie at some point over the weekend. It looks very inspiring!