Monday, July 23, 2012

Life is for living

Life is for living, not productivity.
~ Leo Babauta


Five short weeks ago, my summer vacation was just beginning. Concerned that the time would get away from me with nothing to show for it, I made myself a rather ambitious to-do list and posted it HERE.

Now there are only fourteen days of freedom left, and I am facing the reality of how much remains undone, how much WILL remain undone. While I have created 23 new pieces of jewelry for my Etsy store and am making steady progress on my revision of The Wishing Box, I have barely touched the piano and I have yet to finish reading a book. I have been faithful about going to the gym and did the running events as scheduled, but the house is arguably in worse shape than when I started. De-cluttering is messy business, but I am hoping to at least get everything put back where it goes by the time this week is over, because next week I need to pull together back-to-school packets, assignment notebooks, teaching materials and lesson plans for my students. Lessons resume on August 6th.

Where have the days gone? I was beating myself up for all the time I must have wasted when I came across this blog post by Leo Babauta. And while it's true that I haven't been at the height of productivity this summer, I have done a lot of living. I have had fun with my family and hung out with my friends and gone dancing and sung karaoke. I have had my heart broken and gone on a few first dates and might actually be "seeing someone" now, although we agree we are going to take it slow. I attended a house concert and a writing workshop (click HERE on Tuesday) and started meeting with a new group of writers every Sunday morning. And since I made up my mind to really focus on improving my daily habits in the areas of health and writing, I have joined Costco, bought a juicer, lost two pounds, edited sixty pages of manuscript, and added a couple thousand words to my work-in-progress.

The bottom line? I have enjoyed every minute of every day. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

The work will get done; it always does. When my first student walks through the front door two weeks from today, I will be smiling and ready. In the meantime, I'm going to keep asking myself the question, "How can I best enjoy this moment?"

And follow my heart.

2 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

Yay you! Life is for living. You've got the right attitude!

Pam Asberry said...

I'm working on it, S.M. ;-)