Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Making Things

Bird By Bird Bracelet
(click to enlarge)
My all-time favorite book on writing is Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird. The title refers to an event that took place while she was growing up; her brother was assigned a school project on birds and became overwhelmed by the enormity of it. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brother's shoulder and said, "Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird," Anne tells us. She has similar advice for those of us who wish to write books; every paragraph, every scene, every page, every chapter finished takes us one step closer to The End. Inspired by these words, I created a bracelet to wear as a reminder. I plan to sell them in my Etsy store, too.

#

Brazilian Braid Bracelet
(click to enlarge)
I took a class at my favorite local bead shop on Sunday afternoon. Using silver curb chain and black leather lacing, I wove a bracelet called Brazilian Braid. I finally got a clasp on it this evening. I love the look! I am looking forward to experimenting with different colors of chain and braid; if there is enough interest, I might sell these in my online store, as well.

#

Shiny!
After reading my post Grandmother's Button Box, a writer friend commissioned me to make six sets of something - bracelets? earrings? necklaces? - from her button collection. I can hardly wait to start playing! 

#

Have you done any crafting or sewing lately? Leave a comment and let me know what you are working on!

8 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Actually started cross-stitching again. I'd started a little project last year and worked on it some more while on vacation last week. Unfortunately, I'll have to take out the center medallion because it's one stitch off and redo it, but it's for a wedding at the end of Sept., so I should be able to get it done and framed. I remembered how much I loved it and missed it. I'm also doing some plastic bead key chains in between calls at work--more productive than word search puzzles.
So glad you're getting a chance to play!

Pam Asberry said...

I used to cross-stitch too; maybe I'll do an ornament over the holidays for old time's sake. One of the reasons I stopped is that it is so exacting; as you say, just one tiny mistake costs hours of work. But I am glad you are enjoying it! I *HAVE* to make time to play; if I didn't, I think I might die! :-)

Anonymous said...

Good morning, I know that the local bead shop closed so where do you go for classes now? Thanks so much, great work.

Pam Asberry said...

I miss "On the Rocks," Anonymous, but I think it's important to shop locally as much as possible, so I have been going to "Bead Bayou" in Alpharetta. It's kind of a long haul from my house but only about ten minutes from where I write on Sunday mornings so I am able to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. (But not the bird on my bracelet, LOL!) Rachael and Laura are great; they keep a good selection of beads and findings on hand and offer a wide variety of classes. Check it out! And thanks for your support.

Anonymous said...

Cool, thanks for the info. I miss "On the Rocks" also. I will have to truck over to "Bead Bayou" myself....I like the classes too, learn new things.

Have a great week.

Pam Asberry said...

Let me know what you think, Anonymous!

Shawn said...

I've collected a ton of buttons from work and plan to just sew the buttons onto a shirt one day. I will probably end up sewing on one button a day since the buttons are scattered all over the place. So someday...

Pam Asberry said...

That's a great idea, Shawn. Buttons would also be cute sewn onto a zippered pouch or a handbag. Thanks for the inspiration!