Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Writing Mission Statement

A personalized coffee mug does not a writer make.
But having one doesn't hurt.
Here, as promised in Monday's blog post, is my writing mission statement.

To encourage, inspire and empower others by writing stories about strong individuals who do not allow life’s obstacles stand in the way of their dreams.
  • To be an active participant in the writing community through membership in professional associations, blogging, writing book reviews, critiquing, and social networking.
  • To improve my craft as a fiction writer through reading how-to books, attending workshops, meeting regularly with a critique partner and/or group, and daily practice.
  • To create a body of work including novels, short stories, and nonfiction essays and explore various means of publication for each so as to reach the largest audience.
In addition, I think it might be useful to create a separate mission statement for each of my individual writing projects, including the two novels in progress, a short story I am finishing for my group blog, a collection of nonfiction essays, and the blog you are reading right now. But this is the panoramic view of my writing career as a whole.

I think I can.

10 comments:

Sherry Gloag said...

That is an awesome mission statement which I found very empowering and just might copy ;-)
Best wishes with it.

Shawn said...

I know you can!!!

Way to go Pam. Now I'm inspired!

Shawn said...

BTW, where'd you get the mug?

Pam Asberry said...

Copy away, Sherry! Thanks for your support! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

It wouldn't have occurred to me to write a mission statement, Shawn, if you hadn't suggested it! So who inspired whom? ;-) I ordered the mug, along with business cards, from Vista Print. Inexpensive and decent quality. They have lots of other products too; t-shirts, tote bags, mouse pads, etc. Check them out!

S.M. Carrière said...

You most definitely can! Go you!

Pam Asberry said...

Go, *US*, S.M. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

That "us." The plural of "I." Not U.S. As in the United States of America. ;-)

Bryonna Nobles said...

I love the mission statement Pam. Those are great, attainable goals that still prove challenging.

I also love the mug. If you haven't checked it out yet, go to the GRW cafepress store. They have lots of amazing products there. I think you'd definitely find something in the Writing Fun section. :D

http://www.cafepress.com/georgiaromancewriters

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Bryonna. Yes, I am lusting after several items in the GRW Cafe Press store! ;-)