Thursday, August 30, 2012

Polynesian Chicken & Basmati Rice


Missing the savory fare I enjoyed during my cruise to French Polynesia, I decided to experiment with some recipes. This one is a keeper; I am especially fond of it because I can prepare the chicken ingredients early in the day and store it in the fridge. Then, at the end of a long afternoon of piano teaching, all I have to do is pour it into a pan, pop the pan in the oven, cook up some basmati rice and, voila! Dinner is on the table in 30 minutes!

POLYNESIAN CHICKEN

4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon hoison sauce
2 star anise
2 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
10 green onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a large baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.


BASMATI RICE WITH STAR ANISE AND CARDAMOM

Thoroughly rinse 2 cups basmati rice to remove excess starch. Combine rice with 3 cups water, 2 whole star anise, 3 cardamom pads, gently torn open, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot. Cover and quickly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently for about 12 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat; allow to rest 5-10 minutes before serving.


The star anise and cardamom really make this rice special. I hope you'll try it and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Andrea Westphal said...

Hi Pam. Welcome to ROW80! I've enjoyed really reading through your blog. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It looks delicious!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Andrea. My blog is eclectic - like me! :-) I hope you will come back and visit often.

Martin R. Meyers said...

Hey there! I’m a fellow blogger/writer looking to discover great blogs, and I’ve gladly added myself to your followers! I would also love ot invite you to check out a great Giveaway I’m having right now, that I think would be right up you alley!

Hope to see you there, and thank you!
- Martin

http://www.meyersauthor.com/2012/09/5000-giftcard-giveaway.html