Friday, September 21, 2012

Dare To Begin

I have always loved the sound of the mandolin. Last year, my kids surprised me with an instrument of my very own. You can read about it HERE. I did what I could with it, but quickly became frustrated. The neck is bowed, making it difficult to play; eventually, I set it aside, wishing I could afford to buy something better.

Then a couple of weekends ago, a friend invited me to join him in Atlanta to hear Sam Bush play in concert. 


It was an amazing evening. Do you see the joy written all over Sam's face as he performs? I've got to tell you, that joy was contagious. I came home and ordered myself a new mandolin the very next day.


Do you see the joy written all over MY face? My new baby, a Loar LM 520-VS, is a pleasure to play. I inquired with the members of the local band Sans Abri who opened the Sam Bush concert about a mandolin instructor and followed their recommendation; I had my first lesson with my new teacher last night. He is accomplished, warm, kind and patient--just the kind of teacher I need. He admitted he doesn't usually work with beginners, so I am determined to do whatever it takes not to let him--or myself--down. I committed to practicing 30 minutes a day, for starters. Even though I will probably NEVER be able to play like this.


Yes, this recording makes me cry. Bach on the mandolin. Wow. 

It is healthy and humbling to be a beginner. But every great artist--painter, sculptor, photographer, writer, musician--started out that way. I can't recommend it highly enough. Is there something you have always wanted to learn how to do? Well, there is no time like the present. Invest in the equipment you need. Find a teacher, if necessary. Laugh at your mistakes. You will improve with practice. 

Live a creative life. Be who you were meant to be.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

"Dare to Begin"...just the extra encouragement I need. I love to paint, but the fear of failure holds me back. I am very frugal and don't like to spend money unless it is on something needed. However, my big brother sent me $50 for my 50th birthday. I've purchased a new set of brushes and am buying paint today (with coupon of course). I am going to learn to enjoy the process..regardless of the outcome!

Pam Asberry said...

Good for you, Kathy! It's okay to be a beginner. It's the only place there is to start. Invest in yourself, then relax and dig in. You will grow as a person and find out things about yourself that you didn't know. I look forward to hearing about your journey!