Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Thought-Feeling-Behavior Cycle/ROW80 Update

Today's homework in my online class, Empower Your Muse, is to begin to identify how my thoughts and the resultant feelings influence my behavior where my writing is concerned. Here are the specific instructions given by our instructor, author Kelly Stone:

For one day this week...record in a notebook everything that you think, feel, and do related to writing. Make three columns on a page and label them thoughts, feelings and behaviors, and include a place for the date.

This is what I have so far today.

9/5/12

12:08PM
Thoughts: It's noon already and I haven't done a lick of writing! Of course, I haven't exercised or taken a shower yet, either, and my first student will be here at 1:30. Yikes! At this point, I really don't have time to write.
Feelings: anxiety, panic
Behavior: Spent twenty minutes on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and reading random blog posts.

12:30PM
Thoughts: If I get right to it, I can at least get a workout in before I start teaching. Maybe I can squeeze in some writing time after I finish teaching tonight.
Feelings: guilt
Behavior: Popped DVD into player and did half of a 30-minute Body Bar workout.

Sigh. 

I am still hoping to spend at least an hour writing later this evening. Maybe I will even finish that short story. Tomorrow, I will write FIRST. It seems to be the only way that works for me. 

ROW80 Update:
Despite my generally poor performance today, I have added over 2000 words to my novel and my short story is at 3553 words, meaning that since my last check-in a week ago I have exceeded my goal of 500 words per day. Considering the week I have had, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

How is everyone else doing with their goals?


6 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

You, madam, are a powerhouse! I've been fighting with technology all week, trying to get my word document converted to pdf with the correct page size!

Pam Asberry said...

Urgh, S.M.! I can't even think about that stuff yet; I have no idea how to even get started. Maybe I can get my programmer brother to help me. (Are you reading this, Eric!) Good luck!

Patricia said...

Battle on. You are doing great.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Pat! My sword is raised high. Charge!

Andrea Westphal said...

It's the same for me: I definitely need to write FIRST before I do anything else, especially on the Internet.

Pam Asberry said...

Facebook is my greatest distraction, Andrea! I have to use it as a reward; otherwise I can stay there all day! Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. :-)