Thursday, September 13, 2012

Words, words, words

I finished my short story on Monday, part of an anthology that my group blog, Petit Fours and Hot Tamales, will present as a gift to our readers during the month of December. This was my first-ever short story, so I am a bit uncertain as to how it will be received by my fellow bloggers, who are much more experienced than I. Right now my story is in the hands of our editor; I hope she will be kind!

Since then, I have been back to work on my manuscript The Wishing Box and have come close to meeting my daily word goal of 500 words per day. It is tough because I am revising and sometimes I cut more words than I write; regardless, my aim is to INCREASE my word count by 500 words per day. Tuesday I eked out only 310, but yesterday I did 599 and today I hit 535, pushing my total word count to over 60,000, closer than I have ever been to my final goal of approximately 85,000 words. This feels GREAT!

I am also keeping up with my homework in Kelly Stone's online writing class, Empower Your Muse. This has been such a powerful experience; more on that later. But yesterday, Kelly shared an amazing video with us that I am going to pass on to you here. Warning: Have a tissue handy! You might need it!


8 comments:

Tamara LeBlanc said...

Pam, I think it's so wonderful that you've set a goal for yourself and you're getting closer and closer to your desired word count! That's awesome.
Keep up the good work.
Can't wait to read the PFHT group novel. Looking forward to your short story :)
Have a happy evening,
Tamara

S.M. Carrière said...

Look at you, being all productive and stuff! Keep it up. You're doing fantastically!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Tamara! I'm a little nervous about putting it out there but everyone has to start somewhere, right? ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, S.M.! I'm only following your example... :-)

Shan Jeniah Burton said...

It sounds like you have lots of excitement to fuel your progress!

Awesome! =D

Pam Asberry said...

That's for sure, Shan! Thank you for stopping by! :-)

kmhubersblog.com said...

I think you are doing an excellent job with your word count. It's been my experience that the act of writing every day will produce an average number of words. I think 500 is an excellent place to begin.

Over time, the 500 turns into an average thousand per day over a week's time. Just another way for you to look at it, perhaps. Best of luck to you in this last week of ROW 80.

Karen

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for your encouraging words, Karen. I know you're right. When I am writing, I can generally crank out 1000 words in a couple of hours, no problem. And I have won NaNoWriMo twice. But it's a little tougher when I'm revising. Regardless, the important thing is that I write EVERY DAY. It all adds up over time. :-)