|I ran the 5K for YSC Tour de Pink on Saturday.|
There must be something about this season that prompts me to examine my long term goals, too. As a matter of fact, it was almost exactly a year ago today that I revisited the Amazing Life List I originally posted back in the spring of 2010. But checking in this morning, I was dismayed to discover that I have accomplished only four of those items in the past twelve months: starting a running program, running a half-marathon, singing karaoke in public, and finishing Jane Austen's novels. Why is that, I wondered?
I took a long, hard look at the list. First, I admitted that some of the items simply are no longer important to me. For example, along with my nightly wine habit I have lost the burning desire to drink a beer at Oktoberfest in Munich or attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Second, I realized that while I wouldn't turn down certain opportunities--like a trip to China--I cannot imagine myself actually planning the itinerary when there are other places, like Ireland and Africa, that truly call me to visit. Finally, I recognized that much of what provides me with true satisfaction is much more affordable than a trip overseas; something as simple as trying a new recipe or learning a new craft brings me great joy and pleasure.
So I decided it was time to make a new list. I have whittled it down to 66 items and have already started work on some of them. Those highlighted in blue have 2012 deadlines; those highlighted in pink will be checked off by the end of 2013. In the meantime, I will be plugging away at the others, open to opportunity. If I happen to bowl a 200+ game and meet Mr. Right while I'm at the bowling alley, so be it!
- Spend a summer in France.
- Spend a week in New York City; see the sights; attend a Broadway play.
- Cruise to Alaska.
- Visit Hawaii.
- Go on a walking tour of Ireland.
- Spend a summer in the Mediterranean: Greece, Spain, Italy.
- Visit Australia and New Zealand.
- Go to Africa.
- Go whale watching in Cape Cod.
- See the Grand Canyon.
- Set foot in all 50 states.
- Spend a summer driving across the United States, coast to coast, with no itinerary.
- Cruise through the Panama Canal.
- Go on a cruise with my parents, children, and brother and sister-in-law.
- Attend the St. Patrick's Day parade in Jackson, Mississippi.
- Attend my 40th high school reunion.
- Do the Southern Caribbean cruise itinerary on Carnival Cruise Line.
- Finish, revise and polish my first novel.
- Find a publisher for my novel.
- Sign my book at an autograph session.
- Have an article published in a national magazine.
- Speak at a writing conference.
- Attend a national writing conference.
- Master Chopin's Scherzo in B-Flat Minor.
- Master Mozart's Piano Concerto, K. 466, and perform it with an orchestra.
- Learn how to play the mandolin.
- Write a song (piano and lyrics).
- Learn how to play the hammered dulcimer.
- Play in a music ensemble.
- Stop biting my fingernails.
- Weigh 115 pounds.
- Overcome water phobia and become a strong swimmer.
- Own an iPad.
- Own a grand piano.
- Own a sexy car.
HOME & HEARTH:
- Sort through/get rid of everything I don't absolutely need or love.
- Plant an Eastern red cedar tree.
- Own a house at the beach (might be on a lake, might be on the ocean - doesn't matter as long as it's someplace warm).
- Make it my dream home.
- Establish an herb garden.
- Keep chickens.
- Get a kitten and name it Panzer.
RANDOM & MISCELLANEOUS
- Review my French and speak it fluently.
- Bowl a 200+ game.
- Speak in front of 1000 people.
- Fly first class.
- Serve on a jury.
- Be an extra in a film.
- Learn swing dancing.
- Swim with dolphins.
- Get a tattoo.
- Make lye soap.
- Take a cake decorating class.
- Make divinity.
- Make a scrapbook photo album for each of my children.
- Make a scrapbook album Book Of Me.
- Crochet a granny square afghan.
- Knit a pair of socks.
- Knit a sweater.
- Organize my loose recipes/compile a family cookbook.
- Make memory quilts for my family.
- Write a will.
- Pay off my credit cards.
- Achieve financial peace.
PIE IN THE SKY:
- Meet my life partner.
- Have the wedding of my dreams.
What's at the top of your Amazing Life List?