Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Boo!

I didn't attend a fireworks display on the fourth of July and have felt rather deprived ever since. So when I received an invitation to a Halloween/NaNoWriMo kick-off party tonight, I determined I wouldn't miss any more holiday fun.

Even if that meant donning a costume. But what to wear? I did a 5K race on Saturday and noticed that several of the participants were wearing tutus; this is fairly common at such events. "I have always wanted a tutu," I sighed to my brother and sister-in-law, who ran with me. So a couple of days later, when I discovered this tutorial online, I knew exactly what I would be for Halloween. A tutu-wearing witch! I located the purple and black striped tights and black witch hat at a local Halloween store. I found a purple feather boa, too. But I adapted the tutu directions as follows.

I used one-inch black elastic, wrapped it around my waist to fit, and sewed it closed on my machine. Then I cut three yards each of 54-inch black glitter tulle and purple tulle and one yard of 54-inch violet sparkle tulle into 4" by 27" strips; finally, I cut the violet tulle strips in half (4" by 13 1/2"). To create the tutu, I attached the strips according to the directions in the tutorial in this order:

*black/purple/black/purple/black/violet/purple/black/purple/black/purple/violet/repeat from * until elastic is covered

Except I didn't actually fold the strips in half and then in half again before attaching them to the elastic. I just kind of bunched them up in the middle and tied the knot. I am very pleased with the results.  My first tutu!

Now, here's hoping my NaNoWriMo novel (that's a commitment of 1667 words a day, no matter how you slice it) goes as well!

8 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Freakin' awesome! Enjoy! I am wearing my Great Pumpkin Peanuts sweatshirt to work tomorrow and my purple skull earrings a friend made. Let's rock it!

S.M. Carrière said...

Your tutu looks amazing! I hope we get to see pictures of this costume?

Have a blast tonight!

Pam Asberry said...

Hope you are having a great day, Julee! Maybe we never be too old to have fun/be silly!

Pam Asberry said...

I will definitely take lots of pictures tonight, S.M. I can hardly wait! :-)

Kelly Blackwell said...

YOU are so clever! I wish I could sew a costume in a pinch. You are going to look great! Have fun!

Pam Asberry said...

That was the beauty of it, Kelly; there was really no sewing involved, other than the seam in the elastic. Just several hours of knot tying! ;-)

Libby said...

Good luck with Nanowrimo!!!!! Every girl's gotta have a tutu.

Pam Asberry said...

I couldn't agree more, Libby! I'll post a picture of me wearing it later today. :-)