Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cake Decorating 101

You've got this life and while you've got it you'd better kiss like you only have one moment, try to hold someone's hand like you will never get another chance to, look into people's eyes like they're the last you'll ever see, watch someone sleeping like there's no time left, jump if you feel like jumping, run if you feel like running, play music in your head when there is none, and eat cake like it's the only one left in the world!
~C. JoyBell C.

Yes, they taste good. But my cakes have never been things of beauty.
Casey's 11th birthday.
Sprinkles hide a multitude of sins.

I often thought about taking a cake decorating class but somehow never got around to it. That is, until a couple of weeks ago. Eager to knock a few items off my bucket list, I marched myself into my local Michael's, signed up for Wilton Course 1, and purchased my supplies. 

I learned enough in the very first session to feel that I had gotten my money's worth from the class. Tips to bake flatter cakes. Tips to keep the cake from sticking to the icing while trying to spread it. How to smooth the icing once it's on the cake. How to use those intimidating decorator bags and tips. 

Then, using purchased Wilton decorator icing, we practiced making stars on the cookies we brought with us to class. I found it the icing stiff and hard to work with, but here are my first efforts.


There was prep work for the second session. Using recipes we were given in class, we were to make two batches of icing: one thin for putting on our cake, and one medium for decorating it. We were also to bake an eight-inch layer cake. When we got to class, we colored our thin icing blue and put it on our cake


then colored our medium icing yellow and red and filled our decorator bags.


Finally, our patient instructor showed us how to create the patterns we would need


and how to transfer line designs. Then she turned us loose to decorate our cakes . 

The homemade icing was much easier to work with than the stuff from the can, and I had a lot of fun squeezing and swirling and finishing my project. Here is my masterpiece.


Next week we will learn how to make various types of flowers and leaves and practice them on cupcakes. And in our final class, we will learn how to print and write words and make ribbon roses and use them to decorate a two-layer cake. Look out, Cake Boss! Pam is in the kitchen now!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awesome! :) I also love the quote at the top!

Pam Asberry said...

Me, too!! :-)

Denise Stewart said...

Beautiful. Love the colors.

Pam Asberry said...

I feel a little guilty about the powdered sugar and Crisco, Denise, but it sure is fun! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

Now that sounds like a blast! And you've done a fabulous job!

Pam Asberry said...

It is even more fun than I imagined, S.M. I am really looking forward to learning how to make those fancy roses! :-)

Josh Geyer said...

It's a cake within a cake.

Cakeception!!!

Pam Asberry said...

I hadn't thought about that before, Josh. Cool!