Friday, October 19, 2012

The Complaint Department Is Closed


See if you can catch yourself complaining in either speech or thought, about a situation you find yourself in, what other people do or say, your surroundings, your life situation, even the weather. To complain is always nonacceptance of what is. It invariably carries an unconscious negative charge. When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation or accept it. All else is madness.
~ Eckhart Tolle

This quote, which appeared in Mastin Kipp's daily newsletter yesterday, hit me right between the eyes. The more I thought about it, I realized how much complaining I do and how counterproductive it is. It does nothing to improve my circumstances; as a matter of fact, it seems to promote a general feeling of discontent. For example, it was chilly outside when I took my dog out this morning. Barefoot, dressed in pajama pants and tank top, I was shivering--and grumbling--by the time Karma finished his business. But it's October in Atlanta; chilly mornings are to be expected. Suddenly recognizing the futility of being upset about this, I stopped myself, took a deep breath, allowing the resistance to pass through me. I smiled, acknowledging the change in seasons, hustled back inside, pulled on a pair of fuzzy socks and a comfy sweater, and started my morning coffee. And just like that, my whole attitude towards the day had shifted.

The lesson here? If it is within my power to change something I don't like about my life, I will change it. If it is not, then I will accept it with gratitude. I refuse to continue to add to the din of crazy in the world with any more useless complaining.

8 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Thank you.

Jennifer said...

LOVE the fuzzy socks! It's "Fuzzy Sock Season". Very insightful and a good thing to remember, especially when it's something that just IS and it's nothing you can think about and change, other than your own mind/attitude about it. It's always better to approach everything in life with the best attitude you can - you will make things go better with a better attitude/outlook!

Pam Asberry said...

You're welcome, Julee!! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

That's exactly the thing, Jennifer; sometimes I make myself positively crazy about things I have absolutely ZERO control over, like an adult child's decisions or a mandolin teacher's behavior or the freakin' WEATHER. Closing the complaint department is phase one of the attitude adjustment! :-)

Dan said...

Congratulations on finding Echart Tolle. He has done wonders for me. Can I recommend someone else to read as well?... Try some of Eldon Taylor's books as well.

Finding peace in everything that comes your way is both challenging and rewarding. I can't say that I can do it all the time but I do very well.

Live and be free. Love life and ALL of what it gives. Indeed, the truth WILL/does set you free.

I'm happy for you Pam.

S.M. Carrière said...

That sounds like a brilliant idea.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Dan! I will check out Eldon Taylor. It's always good to hear from you!

Pam Asberry said...

It's really quite simple, S.M. ;-)