Monday, October 15, 2012

Happiness Jar

People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you're fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly.
~ Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

I am a big fan of Elizabeth Gilbert. And when I discovered this post on her Facebook page yesterday, well, I couldn't wait to join the fun.

I pulled one of my grandmother's old blue canning jars from the kitchen cupboard and, just before I went to bed, recalled the happiest moment from my day. I wrote about it on a slip of paper, folded carefully, and tossed it into the jar.


I know my happiness will quickly overflow this small receptacle so I am on the lookout for something larger. When I find it, I might even decorate it with wire and beads. In the meantime, I am off and running. Who else is in?

16 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

I'm in! Was able to make several customers at work very happy when I fixed their problems, so will get paper and pen and start a jar. Life is good, isn't it?

Pam Asberry said...

It is, Julee! I have kept gratitude journals on and off through the years, but often the thought of filling a page at the end of the day is overwhelming. It's easy, though, to make note of ONE happy time and drop it in the jar. Glad to know you are along for the ride! *THAT* makes me happy! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

That's a great idea! I should really get in on that action!

Pam Asberry said...

Well, S.M., grab a jar and come on! :-)

LisaAnn said...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment on my blog. I know you have been through some huge hurdles and challenges yourself, and your support means the world to me. This post is perfect, and I think I need to start doing things like this to remind myself that I truly have a lot of things to be grateful for. Thank you for the great idea.

Pam Asberry said...

The big things knock me down flat sometimes, LisaAnn, but if I take the time to notice the little things, they are reason enough and keep going. The happiness jar helps with that. It's great to have people like you on this journey with me. :-)

Patricia said...

Great idea, Pam. I'm in.

Pam Asberry said...

Awesome, Pat! :-)

Eydie said...

Pam,
I am so inspired by the idea of a happiness/gratitude jar. I’d love to make one for my family .
Thanks so much wonderful idea.
XOXO

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you for stopping by, Eydie! I am thinking of starting one for Thanksgiving too, and having all my dinner guests make note of something they are especially grateful for, sign it and date it, and drop it in a jar. It will be fun to watch it fill up over the years and to look back on Thanksgivings past. :-)

Sue Ann Gleason said...

I love the happiness jar. I have been feeling the need to connect with my grandmother lately. I find myself making a lot of soup. My kitchen smells pretty heavenly.

Pam Asberry said...

I understand that feeling, Sue Ann. My jar is on the little table next to my bed and I can't look at it without thinking about my grandmother. A pot of soup sounds delicious on this cold, rainy day. I might just have to see what I can rustle up!

Dione Sage said...

I love this idea, I'm going to have to start a Happiness Jar too :) Thanks for sharing this post!

Pam Asberry said...

My pleasure, Dione! Since I first posted this, I have outgrown two jars. My happiness is truly overflowing!

Dan said...

This appears to have been a really popular topic with your readers. I like the idea. Might implement this on a number of scales. Would you mind if I modify this just a bit? I'll probably use it in its current form as well. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Borrow and tweak at will, Dan! Enjoy!