Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Choosing Joy

The choice to adopt a moment by moment attitude of gratitude is the choice that differentiates those who suffer the slings and arrows of misfortune and those who are blessed with a joyous and abundant life.
~ Leslie Fieger

Rock Star. October 28, 2005.
It seems like only yesterday that I was adamantly not making any New Year's resolutions, and now Thanksgiving is upon us. Many of my Facebook friends have making daily posts of gratitude; most of the bloggers I know are sharing their gratitude lists this week. Yet I have been sitting here with my laptop open for more than an hour, sifting through old photos and scratching my head, unable to begin.

It's not that I don't feel thankful overall; my Happiness Jar is overflowing. The past few days, though, it's been tough to maintain perspective. I am struggling financially, the kids are bickering and unhappy, I am perpetually exhausted and overworked, I have zero romantic prospects, and there is no end in sight for any of it.

But as stressful and challenging as this time is, there is also a bright side. The boys and I are healthy; we have a roof over our heads and food to eat and clothes to wear and many creature comforts. I get to make music and satisfy other creative urges, artistic and literary, on a daily basis; and I have family and friends who love me.

That is quite a list. Fear or courage? Anxiety or confidence? Despair or hope? Loneliness or love? It seems just plain wrong to bow down to the dark gods of fear, anxiety, despair and loneliness.

I choose joy. May you have a joyous and abundant Thanksgiving.

10 comments:

Steven Heath said...

There are so many things to be thankful for. Not all of them are ours. (Come over to my blog tomorrow for an example if you'd like. It's a relatively short post.)

www.lifemoveson.net

S.M. Carrière said...

I'm thankful to have met you. And I'm not just being sappy.

Jennifer said...

Courage, confidence, hope, and love sounds like the way to go! I do like that list! And you are so loved! :)

Patricia said...

Pam,
Your life and spirit is what inspires me to keep putting one foot in front of the other on the darkest days . Love you, dear.

Pam Asberry said...

Lovely post, Steven. Thank you for sharing.

Pam Asberry said...

I'm thankful for you too, S.M.! As a matter of fact, I don't know what I would do without you!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you Jennifer! Your friendship and love mean the world to me. We are family...

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Pat! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly Blackwell said...

That was lovely. I try to make a point of choosing joy as often as possible. It has been a tough year for many, but at the very least when I think of the beauty I have been blessed with, I am thankful. :) Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Kelly. I did have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope you did, too! :-)