Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo, Day One

Our local NaNoWriMo kickoff party was a huge success! Most of my writer pals showed up in costume. Although I was the only one wearing a tutu


but I was not the only witch on the premises. 


We feasted on pulled pork sliders prepared by our host, Mike



along with an assortment chips, dips, desserts and other goodies provided by everyone else in attendance.

Tony and Alex
Kaitlyn
Julie
Esme
It was like New Year's Eve. We thought midnight would never arrive. But finally it did!

Our fearless leader, Shawn
Thirty minutes flew by, but everyone had already completed at least five hundred words. Forty-five minutes later, although I was too tired to to do anything besides make the long drive home, I was well over a thousand. I slept a few hours, and wrote some more. By the time I had to shut down my laptop and start my teaching day, I had 1820 words under my belt. I posted this total to the NaNoWriMo website; my username is pamasberry, if you want to be my writer buddy there. If you are not a participant but want to follow my progress, I have added a word count widget to the sidebar on the right of this blog.

I am totally stoked about this project and can hardly wait to get back to work on it tomorrow. It is a young adult novel, narrated in first person present tense--a new genre and a new writing style for me. I am enjoying getting to know my characters and telling their story.

How did you spend your Halloween/NaNoWriMo Eve? Do you NaNo? Yes, I am using that as a verb...

4 comments:

Vanessa Eccles said...

Pam, I am attempting to NaNo for the first time this year. I'm filled with this strange mix of excitment and intimidation. A party full or writers sounds like a blast. I live a bit far from other NaNo-ers, so I'm alone in my endeavor. But I'm looking forward to connecting to writers via net. My username is VanessaEccles.

Pam Asberry said...

I understand completely, Vanessa! This is my fourth year to participate so I completely understand how you feel. I won the first two times but fell far short of my goal last year because I had way too many other things going on during the month of November. But I have learned my lesson! I just added you as a buddy at the NaNoWriMo site; you are doing great already! I look forward to tracking your progress. :-)

Kelly Blackwell said...

Sounds like a wonderful first day. I really wanted to sign up this year, but unfortunately I am over my head with show prep work and can barely think once I leave the studio. I look forward to reading about your progress though. :) Way to go!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kelly! I didn't feel well yesterday and eked out only a couple hundred words. But I am hoping to get caught up today!