Wednesday, November 28, 2012

NaNoWriMo/ROW 80 Update


Fifty thousand words in thirty days? 1,667 words a day. Piece of cake, right?

It seemed like such a good idea on November first. But as of 9:00PM on Wednesday, November twenty-eighth, I'm at 38,627 words. Which means I have another 11,373 words to complete before midnight on Friday.

Sigh.

I know I can do it. I wrote over four thousand words on Monday and dashed off an astonishing 5,314 words yesterday. That was a new record for me.

But it won't be easy. And the truth is I was so far behind by Thanksgiving that if I hadn't already purchased my Winner's T-Shirt (isn't it beautiful?) I would have probably dropped the ball completely. So I am glad I have the extra incentive to make the push. Because I have learned a lot about myself as a writer the past several days. I have figured out how to silence my inner critic and draft without editing. As a result, I have discovered that I am capable of writing two or three times faster than I thought possible. Granted, some of those words won't survive revision. But many of them will.

And there have been some crazy surprises along the way. One of my main characters just turned up dead--really!--and while I began writing from the point of view of a sixteen-year old girl, today I switched to the point of view of her best friend's mother. I'm not sure which I will choose for the final draft, whether this book will end up young adult or women's fiction. But NaNoWriMo gave me a thirty-day pass to experiment with a new genre and writing style, and I feel so much richer because of it.

I am in desperate need of a cut and color, my laundry basket is overflowing, I haven't been out for a run in almost a week, and I heard through the grapevine that Christmas is coming. I'll get around to all of that on December first.

But right now I have a novel to finish.

7 comments:

B Snow said...

You can do it! And I didn't know there are T-shirts! Cool.

Yeah, I learned way more from NaNo this year than the other time I did it, in 2009.

As for the POV, why can't you use both? Switch from chapter to chapter (like The Help), or split the book up into parts -- part 1 is the girl, part 2 is the mother, or something like that.

Good luck! I know you can do it! Then we'll celebrate at the Dec. 8 GRW meeting!

Julee J. Adams said...

Awesome--you're a winner in my book even if you fall short of the exact word count.
Haven't quite learned the art of writing without editing as I go along. I have broken up my novels into sections for different POVs and it really, really helped a lot. Great idea, B.
Much success!

S.M. Carrière said...

And you can totally do it! I'm really impressed with you right now!

jazzyjinx said...

You Go Girl!!!

Pam Asberry said...

That's a great idea, B. I think I will try switching POV's from chapter to chapter. And I am REALLY looking forward to celebrating. I can hardly wait for December 8th to get here! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Julee. It is really hard for me not to edit while writing but I typically write only about 500 words an hour and when I got so far behind, well, I really needed to step it up to at least 1000. And the only way I could do it was to stop editing. It was surprisingly freeing.

Pam Asberry said...

S.M. and Shawn, thank you, thank you!!