Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pendants from Grandmother's Button Box

My blog post about using buttons from my grandmother's button box was inspired by a Facebook friend who sent me the following message:

Do you make any jewelry with buttons? If so, could I commission you to make six sets of something with a button collection I've had since childhood?

I accepted the challenge. Since my friend wasn't sure that all of her sisters have pierced ears, she requested necklaces. Inspired by this tutorial, I came up with the prototype below, using shell buttons from my grandmother's collection.


Close-up. The crystals on the sides are from a broken necklace that belonged to my grandmother.
Finally, I was ready to begin work on my commission. Here are five of the six button clusters I created, using wooden beads and copper findings in addition to the buttons. Since my Facebook friend also reads this blog, I am omitting the picture of her necklace, which incorporates Swarovski crystals along with the buttons and copper findings.


Although I love them all, this necklace is my personal favorite of the five.


Now that I know what to do and how to do it, I think I will offer these on my Etsy site as a commissioned item for anyone who wants it. Do you have a button collection you would like to share in a special way with family or friends? Email me or convo me on Etsy and let me help you!

* * *

ROW 80 update: Now that all my special order jewelry has been shipped I can spend more time on my NaNoWriMo project. I am definitely behind on my word count goal but I crossed the 20K mark late last night. Three thousand words a day between now and the end of November will put me in the winner's circle. Here I go! 

10 comments:

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell said...

Those are stunning necklaces, Pam! I'm sure the recipients will be overjoyed.

You're keeping up well with NaNo--I'll keep waving my pom-poms to cheer you on!

Have a wonderful, Thanksgiving!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Elizabeth Anne! I sure hope so!

I haven't written a word yet today but I am scheduled to run a 5K bright and early tomorrow morning and then I have Thanksgiving dinner to cook so I am thinking I need to get to bed and will do what I can to catch up over the weekend.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday, as well!


Michele Stefanides said...

I am the friend who made this request. It has taken me a bit of time to wipe away the tears so I could write this comment. These necklaces are even more beautiful than I had hoped. Pam, I wish I could find the words to thank you properly. I am so deeply touched. There will be a flood of tears of joy when I pass these necklaces out at our Cookie Fest in a few weeks. Much love to you!

S.M. Carrière said...

They are beautiful necklaces!

Pam Asberry said...

I am so pleased that you like them, Michele! You gave me a lot of leeway and I really wanted to create something that was not only of sentimental value but that you would actually be proud to wear in public. I hope I succeeded! I hope you will post pictures of you and your sisters all decked out in your new necklaces! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M.! I am planning to wear mine today. :-)

Tami Brothers said...

Very cool! I inherited my grandmother's button jar. I recently found it when going through some boxes. I might give this a try.

Pam Asberry said...

Go for it, Tami! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cat McMahon said...

"Grandmother's Button Box" brought back so many memories of precious time spent with my own grandmother. I still have a jar full of buttons she gave me a half century ago. Every now and then, I run my fingers through them as I search for the just the right button to adorn my newest creation. Cat McMahon www.catsstories.com

Pam Asberry said...

It's funny how something as simple as a handful of buttons can create such a connection with the past, Cat. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.