Wednesday, November 7, 2012

These Shoes Were Made for Voting

They got me where I needed to go.
It's been a crazy month so far. I'm teaching full time, beading a few last-minute items for Bloom Market this weekend, and attempting to restore some sense of order to my busy home in preparation for the holidays--all while trying to keep up my daily word count for NaNoWriMo. As of Sunday night, I was right on track.

But Monday I managed to eke out only about two hundred words; yesterday, I didn't write at all. But I did vote--and it took longer than it might have. Although I only had to wait in line for about thirty minutes, since Rock Star has been using my car to get to and from work every day, I had no transportation other than my own two feet. I almost talked myself out of going. But then I thought about all the people in the world who would give up a lot more than a couple of hours of their time and a few hundred calories for the right to vote. So I put on my running shoes, bundled myself up against the cold, grabbed an umbrella, and walked two miles to the polling place. The muddy shoulder between my subdivision and my destination and the stoplight at the big intersection there were my biggest challenges. But I made it. I cast my ballot, got my sticker, and made it home in plenty of time for my first piano student at two o'clock. By the time I finished my day at eight-thirty, I was too tired to do anything but join the rest of the country in watching the election results. But it was a good kind of tired.

I made my best effort to catch up this morning but had to stop with only 884 words to show for my morning's work. The good news is I'm at 7,777 words, with 42,223 remaining towards my end-of-month goal. However, I already I know I won't be able to write at all on Saturday, November 10th or on Thanksgiving Day. So my revised daily word count goal is 2,011 words. I will succeed!

10 comments:

Vanessa Eccles said...

You can do it!! I've been having to write a little and then come back later an write a little more. It helps keep me motivated to think about the thousands of other writers facing the same struggles as I am this month.

Pam Asberry said...

That's a good idea, Vanessa. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for your encouraging words!

Penelope Swithinbank said...

Enjoying all the encouragement reading about the NaNoWriMo of others. Keep going! As I will.
(www.Grace2help.com) I'm not trying to write a novel but am using this incentive to keep me going! So, yes, YOU CAN DO IT!

Pam Asberry said...

I just read about your project, Penelope; it sounds wonderful! It really does help knowing that others are out there battling the resistance this month. You are right - WE can do it!! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

You will succeed!

Pam Asberry said...

Writing now, S.M....

Kelly Blackwell said...

Good for you with going out and voting. :) I feel the same way. I can take a little inconvenience especially consider those who wish they could vote and those who fought for the right for me to be able to do so. You are going to rock your word count! :)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kelly! I am doing my best!! :-)

LisaAnn said...

So proud of you! Sounds like you are trucking away, and what smart words about how we should never take voting for granted. Thank you for the reminder.

Pam Asberry said...

I met my goal on Thursday, Lisa Ann, but I'm doing a craft show this weekend and was too busy preparing for that to do any writing yesterday. So I'm farther behind than ever! Hopefully I will be able to make up for Thursday tomorrow, when I have a blissfully unplanned day to look forward to! Thank you for your words of encouragement.