Thursday, January 3, 2013

Goodbye, 2012. Hello, Shiny New Year.


I have gotten a lot better at living in the moment. Dredging up the pain of the past and worrying about what might be are a literal drag. But I enjoyed reading my New Year's Eve post from last year and I do believe I was onto something. I am very satisfied with all that I accomplished during the year I chose to let go.

WRITING: I attended two major writing conferences, made it to almost every Georgia Romance Writers meeting, joined a writers group, and found a critique partner. I completed two manuscripts and received several requests for partials and one request for a full. And my short story Last First Date was published in an anthology (click HERE). I am closer than ever to achieving my dream of being a traditionally published author.

JEWELRY MAKING: I made 41 sales in my Etsy store, participated in a local craft show, and expanded my offerings into new areas, like stamped jewelry and button jewelry. I am tons of ideas and am excited about adding many new pieces to my shop in the coming months.

MUSIC: I taught my students well, had an article published in the state music teachers newsletter, adjudicated at several area piano competitions and festivals, and played in four piano recitals. Also, I made some improvement on the mandolin and Irish whistle. I am looking forward to speaking at my local piano teachers association meeting in February, meeting with a couple of prospective new students this afternoon, and finding new outlets for performance.

FITNESS: I ran at least a 5K every month, did the Atlanta Peachtree Road Race in July and completed my first half marathon in April. Despite this, I gained six pounds in 2012. Obviously, I need to cut calories and be more disciplined about working out on a daily basis. I intend to live a long and healthy life. It's now or never.

This morning I said goodbye to my eldest son and his girlfriend as they headed out west to seek their fortunes in Los Angeles. This weekend my middle child will pack the rest of his belongings into his car and move them into his new digs in downtown Atlanta. Then my youngest and I will put away the Christmas decorations, give the house a good cleaning, and carry on as a family of two. In the meantime, I am tweaking my daily routines around work and health. But I'm not planning any major changes. All things considered, I feel that I am right where I need to be, doing exactly what I need to be doing in order to meet my most deeply held goals. Looking out twelve months into the distance, I see myself at a fit 115 pounds, going on a book tour with my traditionally published novel, wearing my signature jewelry, and spending weekends hanging out with other musicians playing Irish mandolin and whistle.

What about you? Did you make any New Year's resolutions this year? Where do you see yourself at the end of 2013?

6 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Life is good. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. You're so close you can almost taste it. Best of luck with new students and all of 2013!

Pam Asberry said...

Life *IS* good, Julee! Hope you have a wonderful New Year, too! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

You sound so much better! I'm so happy things are starting to work for you now.

Keep it up!

(Also, muscle weighs more, so you should pay more attention to your measurements. It's a better judge)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. I am in a better place than I have been in YEARS. But my clothes are getting tight. And it's more affordable to shrink back into them than to buy new ones! ;-)

Steven Heath said...

I can't wait to see where this year takes you. Best of luck with your goals! (And hopefully your book will be on my shelf by years end.

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you so much, Steven. I will be sure to autograph it for you! :-)