Friday, February 15, 2013

Finding the Good



Life is ten percent what happens to us and ninety percent how we react to it.
~ Dennis P. Kimbro

It's been one of those delirious, gut-wrenching, roller coaster kind of weeks.

Wonderfulness
  1. I finished the scheduling for my district's upcoming piano festival and emailed it to the chairperson.
  2. I am having my bathroom remodeled.
  3. With the painter's help, I worked out the color scheme for repainting my entire home.
  4. I woke up Tuesday morning with the opening scene for the novel version of my short story.
  5. Yesterday was Valentine's Day.
Challenges
  1. The contractor ran into several problems and the bathroom remodel, which was supposed to take two days, is ongoing.
  2. My debit card was stolen and fraudulent charges were placed against it.
  3. I had to take Rock Star to the emergency room Wednesday night.
  4. With all the chaos, I failed to get started on the novel.
  5. Yesterday was Valentine's Day.
# # #

The work I am trying to accomplish must be very important because the forces working against me have been hurricane strength the past few days. But instead of freaking out and running from the storm, I have decided instead to square my shoulders and stay on my chosen path, head against the wind. Yes, there have been moments when I have screamed and yelled and stomped my feet and asked myself why. But what a waste of time. Better to just let the crazy flow through and keep moving. And look for the good in the bad.

The Wonderfulness in the Challenges
  1. The bathroom remodel will be finished before the end of business today. And it's going to be beautiful.
  2. My checking account has a temporary credit for the fraudulent charges and it doesn't look like I'm going to be liable for any of them.
  3. Rock Star is going to be fine.
  4. This morning, I reviewed the first 25 pages of my NaNoWriMo project and got them ready to submit for GRW's March Gin Ellis Workshop.
  5. The Valentine's Day chocolate is on sale today.
It seems that the more I am able to make peace with what I have and the situations that are beyond my control, the more negative energy I free up to use towards the creative projects that I truly believe are the pathways to my dreams. Maybe that's what all those manifesting gurus mean when they tell us to focus on what we want instead of what we don't want. I may not be able to control what life throws at me, but there is one thing I can control. And that's myself.

8 comments:

Jillian said...

definitely a roller coaster week. Glad you stayed postitive.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for your support, Jillian!

S.M. Carrière said...

Yike! That is quite the week! Happy to see you taking this approach, though. Keep it up!

Julee J. Adams said...

Love the "let the crazy flow through," because that's what we have to do, isn't it? I can't tell you how great it will be to get that bathroom remodeled. I just found out the perfect little factoid to drop into one of my scenes, so I know how happy you were to get those revisions going. Always a relief when other crises are averted or at least revealed to be not as serious as initially thought. Chocolate helps. As does breathing deeply and getting enough rest...

Pam Asberry said...

I'll do my best, S.M. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

They finished the bathroom about 2PM today, Julee. It really does look beautiful! Now I get to go shopping for a shower curtain and accessories. I am soooo excited!

Steven Heath said...

Bravo Pam, bravo.

Steven Heath said...

Bravo Pam, bravo.