Monday, March 18, 2013

It's not about the destination

Ann Hood and Pam Asberry
I'm still trying to figure out who I am as a writer. But every time I put myself out there I feel that I get a little closer to my destination.

Saturday, for example, I subjected the first twenty-five pages of last November's NaNoWriMo manuscript to a critique from a published author at Georgia Romance Writer's Gin Ellis Workshop. This was my first foray into the world of writing for young adults so I was understandably anxious about this critique. Happily, my reviewer proclaimed she thinks I have "a gift" for YA, that my descriptions were "lovely" and that I did an "exceptional job conveying [my heroine's] feelings onto the page." That said, she criticized my slow pacing and encouraged "a more intense connection" between my hero and heroine. I am going to take these suggestions to heart, finish this manuscript, and enter it in this year's Unpublished Maggie Awards.

Then I went to the Atlanta Writers Club and heard author Ann Hood speak on How to Write Through the Land of Sorrow. Her poignant stories resonated with me and inspired me to dig deeper into my own personal experiences and use them to add depth and emotion to my writing. And of course I bought a copy of her latest book, The Obituary Writer. It is now waiting patiently at the top of my TBR pile.

Uncertainty is isn't always comfortable. But I don't need to know exactly where this writing journey is going to take me--because I'm meeting so many wonderful people and learning so much about myself as I travel down the path.

5 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

I have found that also. Meeting amazing people on this writing journey I've undertaken. It's wonderful to hear good feedback! Keep it up!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M.!

Darin Armstrong said...

Hello Pam,
Just a quick message to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter. I am currently following you now and am awaiting for your follow-back. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘anytime’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…)

All the very best to you & your family for 2013 & beyond Pam. Look forward to hearing from you…

Darin
twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
#TeamLIVESTRONG

Anjali said...

I was at the AWC meeting too, Pam! Hope you can make it to the next one!

Take care,
Anjali

Pam Asberry said...

I am hoping to be there, Anjali! I will look for you and introduce myself!