Friday, May 24, 2013

99 Days of Summer


To the question of your life, you are the only answer.  To the problems of your life, you are the only solution. 
~Jo Coudert

Like so many others, I started this New Year with a smile on my face and hope in my heart. But reflecting on the past five months I feel mostly disappointment. Sure, I've made a little bit of progress in some areas. I'll even admit to being downright proud of one or two of my accomplishments. And while I didn't bring all the bad stuff on myself, I have made far too many choices that have kept me stuck. For that, there is no one to blame but me.

No more excuses. No more regrets. Moving forward, I am committed to taking actions that are truly in alignment with my goals. That's easiest when certain decisions are made ahead of time. And the long days of summer, with sunshine, abundant fresh produce, and time off from work seem the perfect time to begin. Effective immediately (but officially starting tomorrow) I am devoted to to healthy eating and drinking, getting adequate rest, exercising daily, renewing my dedication to my three passions, and spending free time with friends, books, movies and activities that nourish my soul.

Reviewing my Amazing Life List and making it real. Continuing the process of de-cluttering and beautifying my home. Whittling away at my debt. Generally simplifying my life so that the things that mean most to me comprise its essence. It's not a question of discipline, really; it's saying "yes" to myself and "no" to that which consumes precious minutes and gives nothing of lasting value in return. Of course, life has its aspects that are tedious at best, painful at worst; a whiny piano student, grocery shopping, house cleaning, and yard work come to mind. While I cannot eliminate these or avoid the occasional crisis, I can control my own attitude about them, seek joy in the mundane, learn what I can from the rest.

And I'm going to blog about it.

Goodbye, OKCupid/old boyfriends/negativity/drama/drinking alone/midnight snacks/procrastination. Hello, yoga/long walks/sunshine/happy thoughts/peppermint tea/hard work/good food.

I feel better already.

3 comments:

Denise Stewart said...

cSounds like an excellent plan to me.

Steven Heath said...

Besy of luck Pam! I have the utmost confidence in you.

S.M. Carrière said...

Sounds brilliant. It doesn't matter how many times we fall off the horse. What matters is how many times we get back on.