Thursday, June 20, 2013

Affirmation #6: I am now creating my dream home.

My dream home has all stainless steel appliances.
So last week I replaced my ancient countertop microwave with a stainless steel over-the-range microwave.
It's a start.
The brass cabinet door knobs are next on my hit list.
I'm back. My self-imposed moratorium on the internet is over.

I would be lying if I said I made a clean break. After all, keeping the piano studio, the Etsy shop, and the writing going requires that I at least check email once a day. Initially, I vowed to do that and no more. But one of my duties as a Petit Fours and Hot Tamales blogger is to read my blog sisters' posts and comment. And I really missed the connections with family and friends on Facebook, so I found myself sneaking over there and checking status updates from time to time. But instead of spending two to four hours a day online as was my habit, I limited myself to fifteen to thirty minutes a day. I deleted all the games from my iPhone. And during the evening hours, instead of surfing the web, catching up on news and generally keeping myself awake, I played the piano or read until I became drowsy then allowed myself to drift off to sleep.

This was very, very good.

And now that the cycle of addiction is broken, I intend to keep it that way. Because the truth is I was doing a lot of procrastinating under a veil of false productivity. Yes, I am back on Facebook and Twitter and delighted to be blogging again. But I'm not lying to myself any more. If I spend more than an hour a day online, it's too much. And the computer is staying off at night. It's amazing what a difference getting adequate rest makes.

My second and final student piano recital took place last Saturday, bringing my 2012-2013 academic year to its official close. I have a sprinkling of students throughout the summer but a much lighter teaching load starting this week and going through the end of July. I am back to writing affirmations every morning and I have a long list of things I would like to accomplish during this time. But over the next couple of weeks I am putting most of my focus on Affirmation #6, I am now creating my dream home, by sorting through every cabinet, drawer and closet in my house. If it isn't useful or it doesn't make me over-the-moon happy I am getting rid of it; I have already donated a bulging carload of rejected items to charity. Then, as I finish each room, I will deep clean it and make a list of what needs to be done by way of repairs and updates.

Tomorrow: Affirmation #4.

Ah, summertime!

No comments: