Friday, June 21, 2013

Eat, Breathe, Love

Affirmation #4: I breathe deeply, exercise regularly, and feed only good, nutritious food to my body.

I don't have a fitness club membership or worry about the latest diet craze. I want to be fit and healthy but I don't believe that it has to be expensive or complicated. So at the beginning of the 99 days of summer, I started walking again; now that I am on summer break, I have added five minutes of deep breathing to my morning schedule and am able to spend more time in the kitchen, cooking and baking with an emphasis on lean meats, whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables. As a result, my weight is down 4.2 pounds for the month and feeling better than I have felt in a long time.

One of the newest additions to my culinary repertoire is quinoa. Yesterday morning I made Banana Quinoa Muffins for breakfast.
Yes, I added the white chocolate chips. 
And today for lunch I had a big bowl of Greek Chickpea and Quinoa Salad.
Perfect with extra lemon and pepperoncini on the side.
I am also a big fan of Thai Coconut Soup but my favorite Asian restaurant is closed for remodeling. So Wednesday I decided to make it at home. Rock Star said he liked it as well as, if not better than, the restaurant version.
Next time I will even remember to add the fresh grated ginger.
Inspired to try more Thai recipes, I stuck the leftover lemongrass stalks in a jar of water with the intention of growing my own.
I sure hope this works.
Next week I will get back to work in the kitchen, de-cluttering, reorganizing and deep cleaning the cabinets, pantry and refrigerator. But today I stayed in my pajamas and read an entire novel from beginning to end. I cannot remember the last time I did this. But it was a delightful way to welcome to the summer solstice, sitting on my comfortable deck chair with a book in my lap and glass of hibiscus tea at my side.

Slowly, slowly, my emotional tank is beginning to refill...

No comments: