Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Banana Blueberry Muffins

Banana Blueberry Muffins
I am on a modified version of the Paleo diet. One that includes cheese. And eggs. And grains.

Okay, so I'm not eating Paleo at all. But I am making lean meat and seafood, fruits and vegetables the mainstay of my diet, with a sprinkle of cheese and a hard boiled egg here and there. And when I go for grains, I make sure they are unrefined.

So last week when I had a hankering for Banana Blueberry Muffins, I modified Martha Stewart's recipe. Click HERE to read the original; my version is below.

WHOLE GRAIN BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1 3/4 cup freshly milled white wheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 large ripe bananas
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries

STEP 1
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

STEP 2
In a large bowl, beat oil and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork (you should have 3/4 cup); stir in almond milk and vanilla.

STEP 3
With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to oil mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined. Fold in blueberries.

STEP 4
Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer muffins to a rack to cool 10 minutes more.

NOTE: I found this recipe yielded 15 muffins. So be prepared with an extra muffin pan, just in case!

No comments: