Monday, July 15, 2013

I feel pretty!

Michelle, ma belle
You might not be able to tell this by looking at me, but I am fascinated by the world of hair, make-up and fashion. The thing is, I like to wear make-up but I don't like to look "made up," and I am terrible at choosing colors in the drugstore. I don't have a skin care regimen, and the tinted moisturizer, pink powder blush, eyeliner and mascara I have used for years just weren't cutting it anymore, especially now that I am a redhead--besides the fact that, during my recent de-cluttering spree, I got rid of all the cosmetics that were past their expiration date, leaving very little left to play with anyway. So when my eldest son's girlfriend Michelle Alexander shared her latest venture with me, blogging for lovelyish.com, I dove in and caught up on everything she has written so far.

Michelle is a wonderful writer. Reading one of her warm, conversational posts is like getting the low-down from your BFF. In fact, she exudes such confidence and expertise that I couldn't stop myself from venturing out yesterday afternoon in search of some of the products she recommends.

Especially intriguing was the Bobbi Brown 'Extra' SPF Tinted Moisturizing Balm (click HERE to read Michelle's blog post on this amazing product). I loved the idea of an alternative to foundation that provides intense moisture as well as SPF protection. So I walked bare-faced into my local Nordstrom with the intention of grabbing whichever tint the sales clerk recommended and running with it. Things did not, however, go according to plan. I loved the moisturizing balm so much--it really lives up to the hype--that I begged my charming, low-key stylist to give me a complete makeover. She applied corrector, concealer, pot rouge for cheeks and lips, a brightening brick compact for highlights on my cheeks and eyes, a shimmering neutral lip gloss, and a purple eye pencil so soft it safely lined the inside of my upper lid, making my green eyes pop like they never have before. My skin was positively glowing; the overall effect was soft and feminine. I couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror.

The products sold themselves. I bought them all.


She also gave me generous samples of cleanser, toner, eye cream and moisturizers to bring home and try.


I felt positively glamorous. I floated off to the nail salon for a much needed pedicure, then to CVS for a few more of Michelle's recommendations (click HERE for her "current summer drug store crushes"). Home at last, I soaked in a bubble bath, opened my new bottle of Vaseline Cocoa Butter Vitalizing Body Gel Oil and slathered it all over my body, took care of my face (even though it hurt just a little bit to wash off all that pretty make-up), and brushed and flossed my teeth.

When it was time for bed, I slipped between the sheets like a pampered princess. I slept better than I have slept in weeks.

For a link to all of Michelle's delightful posts, click HERE. Let me know if you try any of her suggestions; meanwhile, feel free to share your own favorite brands or products.

5 comments:

Michelle Alexander said...

I've been so excited to read this and surprise, surprise, I loved every sentence you wrote. I wish I was able to be there and share in all this, but in the meantime, I will save this post and read it whenever I need a pick-me up :)

That 'revitalization' of getting out and picking some great quality products that make you look and feel great is the best feeling. You're already beautiful, with or without makeup, but hey, that makes it even funner I say ;)

Pam Asberry said...

I have been floating on clouds ever since that trip to Nordstrom, Michelle. It's amazing what a little pampering will do for one's sense of well-being. And yes, those products were a bit of a splurge, but a little goes a long way; they're going to last me a good long while! Thanks for your kind words; most of all, thanks for being YOU! :-)

Steven Heath said...

These are the moments I wish I was a woman! (Any tips for men?)

Pam Asberry said...

That's a good question, Steve! I will consult with Michelle and get back with you asap!

Steven Heath said...

Thank you!