Monday, November 18, 2013

Making Soap, Round Two


As much as I enjoyed my initial foray into soap making (click HERE), I am sad to say that I let more than a year go by between that first experience and my second. But last night, with the assistance of my dear friend/sister-in-law, I made another batch of lavender oatmeal soap, poured it into the three-pound mold she gave me for Christmas last year, wrapped it in a towel, and brought it home. Tonight I cut it into bars and laid it out on a brown paper bag to cure. The results are pictured above. I know it's chemistry. But it seems more like magic!

I'm  not going to wait another year until I make soap again. With the step-by-step procedures and safety precautions fresh in my mind, I am ready to order supplies and try a couple of new recipes - maybe peppermint oatmeal or true castile soap. The possibilities are endless!

4 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

I've often wanted to make my own soap. Perhaps I'll give it a try next year...

Pam Asberry said...

I hope you will, S.M.! I have a feeling you would really enjoy it!

memman said...

Interesting. I've been using the melt and pour method for quite a while though I've not yet tried the cold process of making soap. I'm sure you had fun. I normally do. It makes great Christmas gifts. Right now my favorite is "Cinnamon Leaf" fragrance in a goats milk base.

Pam Asberry said...

I would like to try that too, menman--as well as make candles and body lotion and sugar scrub and lip balm... ;-)