Monday, December 2, 2013

Shaking Things Up

There is something about everything that you can be glad about, if you keep hunting long enough to find it. 
― Eleanor H. Porter, Pollyanna

I had a happy Thanksgiving. Oh, it wasn't perfect. There were conspicuous absences at my dining room table, I completely forgot about the dinner rolls, and I cried when my brother and his wife left to go home at the end of the day. But none of us left the table hungry, we enjoyed our traditional hearing of the Chipmunks Christmas CD and viewing of Scrooged afterwards, and my sister-in-law and I even managed to sneak in a bit of talk about beads and soap.

Also, my brother brought me flowers.
Aren't they pretty?
Other than preparing Thanksgiving dinner, I had nothing in the way of obligations all week long and I put this unusual chunk of leisure time to good use. I cooked and baked, I did a lot of knitting, I made another batch of soap, and I rearranged my piano studio.

My piano teacher pal Natalie and I are planning a duo piano recital in May, and since I am blessed with TWO acoustic pianos, we are rehearsing at my house. The problem with the configuration I had before was that we couldn't see each other when we were practicing. My studio is oddly shaped and on the small side, so I wasn't exactly sure what to do about it. Natalie suggested a scale diagram; made sense before moving 1200 pounds of piano. This is what I came up with.
A pan of lasagna and a basket of garlic bread was sufficient bribe incentive to get three teenage boys to negotiate the move. This is what the room looks like now.
Two acoustic pianos side by side.
176 keys.
Digital pianos back to back.
A cozy nook for mandolin/clarinet/Irish whistle practice.
Natalie and I are planning to practice together again on Friday; it's going to be great. I hope that at least a few of my readers will be able to come to our recital next spring!

It's been a challenging year in a lot of ways, not just for me but for almost everybody else I know. I don't know about you, but there are moments I question the meaning of life and my purpose on this planet. I may never find the answers, but I refuse to stay stuck for long. Like Pollyanna, I will continue to search for the good in everything. In the meantime, I will spend time at the piano, knit another scarf, try a new soap recipe. And if something isn't working, I will find a way to change it. 

You may be the only person left who believes in you, but it's enough. It takes just one star to pierce a universe of darkness. Never give up.
― Richelle E. Goodrich

10 comments:

Janet Holland said...

Pam,
Although we haven't talked in a long time, I am inspired by your blog and feel that we are sisters in this journey called life in some ways. Like you, I have had some ups and downs over the past couple of years. Would love to get together and visit over a bottle of wine sometime soon!

Pam Asberry said...

I have missed you, Janet, and I know we have a lot of catching up to do! My place or yours? :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

Hey, kid! It's been a weird year, hasn't it? I lost three months recovering from surgery, two months I couldn't do hardly anything. Instead of baby steps, you're taking great leaps. More importantly, you're on your way to your happy place. You are absolutely right, it's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good. Let me know if you have some time when you get back to Mt. C and I'll be more than happy to drive over for a visit! BTW, I have Fridays and Saturdays off and I'll be off Christmas day.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Julee. Most days I feel more like I'm crawling-or moving in reverse-but I sure hope I'll end up at my happy place. Meantime, I'm trying enjoy the scenery as I pass by. Mom and Dad are coming to Georgia Christmas week so we won't be making the trip to southern Illinois this year. But I will definitely let you know the next time I am in the area!

Patricia said...

I believe in you.

Pam Asberry said...

Aw, thanks Pat!!!

Steven Heath said...

The studio looks great! And I'm glad you had a good holiday. Best of luck come May!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Steve! A little luck never hurts! :-)

Steven Heath said...

One of these days I'll have to make the effort to see you in concert.

Pam Asberry said...

Now THAT would be awesome! :-)