Friday, January 3, 2014

Another Auld Lang Syne


Merry Christmas? Happy New Year? For me, the past two weeks were like a long night spent tossing and turning, wandering between euphoric dreams and heart-stopping nightmares. The highs and lows were so extreme it was impossible to keep up any semblance of routine. In the frenzy of decorating and shopping and wrapping and baking and noisenoisenoise, all but the absolutely essential fell to the wayside. Since the middle of November, I haven't added a word to my work-in-progress nor have I spent any serious time at the piano. My last blog post was December 5th and my last journal entry was December 14th. And I am up four pounds from a year ago.

It's time to change all that.

Upon joining Kelly Stone's 90-Day Writing Challenge, I committed to daily morning pages, adding 3000 words per week to my manuscript, and posting to this blog every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. In addition, I have a May piano duo recital to prepare for so I need to get back into a consistent practice routine. And I am tired of carrying around this extra twenty pounds. Eating well and exercising regularly must move to the top of my priority list if I am going to stay healthy and maintain the stamina I need to make my dreams come true.

I hope this doesn't sound like another list of New Year's Resolutions. Because it isn't. These are Things That Make My Life Work. When I am taking care of my body, making music, and plugging away at my writing, everything else goes better. Work is less drudgery and play is more fun. The days fly by. The future looks brighter.

If you completely ignored your goals and focused only on your system, would you still get results? This was a question posed in an article I read recently, Forget Setting Goals, Focus on This Instead. It really resonated with me. I like the idea of truly living in the present moment, not worrying about the outcome of my efforts, knowing that my skills are improving with practice, thereby increasing my odds of success. I have decided that in 2014 that is going to be enough.

How is this New Year shaping up for you?

2 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

That sounds like a great plan.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. So far, so good! :-)