Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lentil Soup

Lentil Soup
Have you ever noticed the blog schedule on the sidebar here? I hope not, because if you have noticed it, then you have probably also noticed what a terrible job I do of adhering to it. But for the record, even though at this point it is obviously more of a suggestion to myself than an actual plan, I am going to do my best to post more regularly this year, and I am hoping that, in general, the Monday-Wednesday-Friday rotation will work out.

That said, I missed posting yesterday. I had a big project due for my local music teacher's association, and by eleven o'clock last night, when the last of the paperwork was finished and submitted, all I wanted to do was pour myself a glass of red wine and watch Sunday night's episode of Downton Abbey. Are you a fan? The way last season ended, the series almost lost me. Then over the summer I forgot the pain and joined millions of others for the season premier last Sunday night. But the way things ended on the second episode? I am thinking I should have stuck with my original plan. Poor Anna!

So I'm a day late with this week's installment of Healthy Living, wherein I share my recipe for lentil soup. There is nothing like a steaming hot bowl of soup at the end of a long winter's day and this one is quick, simple and nutritious. Not to mention delicious! Here goes.

LENTIL SOUP

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
2 cups uncooked lentils
8 cups vegetable stock
Balsamic vinegar and freshly ground pepper, optional

In a large soup pot, saute the vegetables in the olive oil until they begin to soften. Add the bay leaves and salt and stir for a minute or two. Then add the lentils and water and cook until the lentils are very soft, about one hour. Makes about 8 cups.

I like to add a splash of balsamic vinegar and a twist of freshly ground pepper after serving. What is your favorite winter soup recipe?

2 comments:

kevin.talley said...

Thank You, Pam! I'm making this tonight!

Pam Asberry said...

Yay! Let me know what you think!