Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Ho'oponopono


In my post yesterday, I alluded to the thought rut that has stalked me since the night my fiance and I said "I don't." I don't think it is any coincidence that the next day I received an email from a good friend with a link to an article on Ho'oponopono, a healing practice developed by the shamans of Hawaii. Based on the premise that we are fully responsible for every everything, both positive and negative, that happens in our lives, this practice is simple and doesn't conflict with other belief systems or religions. Essentially a prayer, the Ho'oponopono consists of four basic statements:

  1. I love you.
  2. I'm sorry.
  3. Please forgive me.
  4. Thank you.
This practice is serving me well. Now, every time the rewind button in my brain switches to Play, bringing to my knees with sorrow and regret, I silently repeat those four statements, over and over, until the negative thinking stops and my equilibrium returns. I don't know why it works, only that it does. Moving forward, as the memories of this broken relationship begin to fade and my thoughts get stuck in other painful places, I will continue to practice Ho'oponopono. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

No comments: