Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Moving ahead so life won't pass me by


I have a lot going on in my world. Between the teaching and the music making and the writing and the creating and the cooking and the cleaning and the keeping the old body maintained - well, it's a lot to keep track of.

I am trying to improve my habits but the truth is that on top of the time I spend teaching piano lessons there simply aren't enough hours to do everything I want to do EVERY SINGLE DAY. So I have decided upon a compromise. I will do everything at least EVERY OTHER DAY.

Towards that end, I created an Excel document with 31 rows (one for each day of the month) and fifteen columns, labeled as follows:

Write morning pages.
Write a blog post.
Write 500 words of fiction.
60 minutes solo piano practice.
60 minutes ensemble piano practice.
15 minutes improvisation/original composition.
Walk (2-3 miles).
Make something.
List an item on Etsy.
Tangle.
Read 30 minutes.
Cook or bake something.
Do a load of laundry or clean a room.
Wash face.
Floss and brush teeth.

Each day after I accomplish a task I put a check in the appropriate box. The goal is to have a check in every column at least every other row. I'm not there yet but I'm getting closer.

What about you? Do you have a system that helps you track your goals and progress?

1 comment:

jazzyjinx said...

Make sure we hang out only on the days you brush and floss. LOL. Luv ya.