Monday, October 6, 2014

My Personal Credo

Oh yes, the past can hurt. You can either run from it or learn from it.
~ The Lion King


The view from my bedroom window.
This has been a tough year in many ways. I loved and lost; I made mistakes; I have regrets. But everything I learned has helped contribute to making me who I am today.

And for the most part, I like the woman I see when I look in the mirror. She has loving friends and family, a comfortable home, and a satisfying career. She plays as hard as she works and has a thirst for adventure. Even though my life hasn't turned out exactly the way I planned, I wouldn't trade places with anybody on the planet.

But there is always room for improvement. And I decided it was time for me to develop a personal credo - kind of like a mission statement - to remind myself of who I want to be and how I want to move through this world. This is what I came up with.

Pam's Personal Credo.

Be myself, not who someone else wants me to be.
Forgive myself.
Don't look back.
Always speak the truth.
Take pleasure in solitude.
Don't waste time feeling sorry for myself.
Be brave and take risks - lots of them.
Take care of my body.
Do what I love.
Share my life with people who are loving, supportive, open-minded, and kind.
Stop looking for love.
Make art.
Tell my stories.
Travel often.

Am I forgetting anything? I have big dreams and as long as I stay true to myself and my personal credo I believe I will find the courage to make them reality.

2 comments:

Dan M said...

Ok... where to start...

While I understand your pain (believe me I do) I can't agree with your list. At least not totally.

>Be myself... - Yes please. do NOT try to be something you are not and certainly not to please someone else. They either love you for who you are or not at all.
>Don't look back - No - It is not a bad thing to remember from whence you came but don't "be" in the past. Just remember it. It will help you.
>Always speak the truth - Yes... sortof. Do so with kindness and you'll be fine.
>Take pleasure in solitude - Yes - and also in being with others from time to time. You will always need some "self" time.
>Don't waste... - Agreed - In fact, as you have already shown evidence, revel in what you are as a result of your mistakes. They are what brought you to be who and what you are.
>Be brave/take risks - YES. Including in looking for love.
>Take care of my body - Yes
>Do what I love - Yes
>Share... - Yes
>Stop looking for love - ABSOLUTELY NOT! WRONG. It took me 55 years to find the right one. Don't give up.
>Make art - Yes
>Tell my stories - Yes - as with sharing your life
>Travel often - I'd agree with that too. I'd like to do that more myself.

Just my 2cents worth. Worth what you paid for it.

Dan M said...

Ok... where to start...

While I understand your pain (believe me I do) I can't agree with your list. At least not totally.

>Be myself... - Yes please. do NOT try to be something you are not and certainly not to please someone else. They either love you for who you are or not at all.
>Don't look back - No - It is not a bad thing to remember from whence you came but don't "be" in the past. Just remember it. It will help you.
>Always speak the truth - Yes... sortof. Do so with kindness and you'll be fine.
>Take pleasure in solitude - Yes - and also in being with others from time to time. You will always need some "self" time.
>Don't waste... - Agreed - In fact, as you have already shown evidence, revel in what you are as a result of your mistakes. They are what brought you to be who and what you are.
>Be brave/take risks - YES. Including in looking for love.
>Take care of my body - Yes
>Do what I love - Yes
>Share... - Yes
>Stop looking for love - ABSOLUTELY NOT! WRONG. It took me 55 years to find the right one. Don't give up.
>Make art - Yes
>Tell my stories - Yes - as with sharing your life
>Travel often - I'd agree with that too. I'd like to do that more myself.

Just my 2cents worth. Worth what you paid for it.