Wednesday, January 14, 2015

One Zentangle A Day

There are no mistakes in Zentangle.
~ Beckah Krahula

As much as I enjoyed the Zentangle class I took in September, I was so busy making music in November and getting ready for Christmas in December that there was no time to tangle. Besides, I was getting frustrated. It didn't seem that my skill was improving and tangling began to feel more like a tiresome chore than a creative outlet. But one of my Christmas gifts, the book One Zentangle A Day, has me excited all over again.

Described as "a beautiful interactive book teaching the principles of Zentangles as well as offering fun, related drawing exercises," this book is perfect for beginners but offers me a good review of the basics while helping me build on my previous knowledge and take it to the next level. On Day 1, I practiced the patterns above; on Day 2, I learned three new patterns and combined several to create a "tile," or small square drawing.
Sometimes it takes me more than one day to master the new patterns and complete a tile, but that's okay.
Looking ahead, I see the book also covers more advanced techniques like shading and working with color.
If you would like to give tangling a whirl, this book is a great place to start. The only other things you need are a sketch pad and a fine point marker. Ready, set, tangle!

1 comment:

S.M. Carrière said...

Those drawings are really neat! Looks like fun!