Monday, January 5, 2015

Welcome, 2015

Santa Pam wishes you a Happy New Year!
The last few weeks of 2014 were cluttered with worries and cares. Every time I thought nothing else could possibly go wrong, something did. I wanted to scream and cry and punch through walls and sleep until spring. None of these were options but something had to give. Finally, I threw my daily to-do list out the window. Beginning the week of Thanksgiving, I did only what I absolutely had to do and spent every other moment squeezing what joy I could from the holiday season. Some might call it denial but I called it survival. I decorated my house, made gifts for loved ones, wrote cards to faraway friends. I shopped online and baked snickerdoodles and listened to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker and watched It's A Wonderful Life. I spent Christmas Eve with my children in metro Atlanta and Christmas night with my mom and dad and brother and sister in southern Illinois. Then I came home and hosted a dinner party on New Year's Eve, screaming "good riddance" to 2014 with friends, old and new, at midnight.

Welcome, 2015, and not a moment too soon.

***

This morning, I printed myself a new monthly checklist and revisited my bucket list, tweaked it a bit, and picked up where I left off in November. Although I am disappointed in the lack of progress on the bucket list - meeting, falling in love with, and becoming engaged to Mr. Wrong proved to be a huge setback - I am ready to let go of the past and get on with my life. 

First, though, I should myself credit where credit is due. I performed the first movement of Mozart's Piano Concerto in G minor in public (#24). I started 2015 ten pounds lighter than I started 2014 (#31). I updated my home and made a big dent in getting rid of everything I don't need or love (#33). I made a family cookbook (#45) and memory quilts (#46) and gave them as Christmas gifts. More on those two projects later. And yesterday I cut up most of my credit cards, put together a budget, and put together a plan for paying off all my debt (#63). It will take a few years but I plan to reward myself with that coast-to-coast drive across the United States (#14).

Time to get serious about making all those unfulfilled dreams come true.

***

I haven't decided upon my One Word for 2015 yet but I do have a motto.

All will be well.

It already is.

2 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

This sounds wonderful, Pam! Yell across the border if you need anything!

Pam Asberry said...

Which reminds me of something I need to add to my bucket list: GO TO CANADA AND MEET S.M.