Monday, October 5, 2015

What I've Been Up To

Sometimes things just fall off your plate.
~ V. K. Springs

My academic year began on Monday, August 3rd and the weeks since have been hectic. With 61 students on my fall teaching schedule and hours of practice in preparation for a recital on Saturday, September 19th, there hasn't been time for much of anything besides the piano. In case you missed our performance, here is a sample.

Asberry & Hardy Piano Duo's rendition of Debussy's Petite Suite

I am more excited about the piano than ever and consistent daily practice, along with teaching and all that entails, will remain a constant in my life. But despite the joy and fulfillment I receive from music, I cannot seem to let go of the dream of being a published author. Toward that end, I have renewed my memberships in Romance Writers of America and Georgia Romance Writers. I missed this year's Moonlight & Magnolias conference but look forward to seeing all my writer friends at GRW's November meeting. And yesterday I attended a fabulous workshop with local writer Janice Hardy, author of Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure, that proved to be the kick starter I needed to get back to work. This afternoon I spent a couple of very satisfying hours immersed in her book, actually "a series of self-guided workshops designed to lead you through developing a novel idea, drafting a summary line, creating a summary blurb, and finally writing a working synopsis" (p. 3). The goal by the end of the book is to have a solid plan from which to craft a novel. My goal is to be ready to start a new project in time for NaNoWriMo.

In the same vein, some of my readers have said that they miss reading blog; I know I have missed posting. So I am going to do my best to show up here three times a week, including a book review every Wednesday. Please note that comments are moderated for the time being, but I hope that won't stop you from becoming part of the conversation. I love connecting with my readers!

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to squeeze one more thing into my busy days. But it's important to me. So I'll find a way.

2 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

Yay! Welcome back to the writing life. Any time you need a kick in the pants, fire me a quick email, and I'll send you some Shia LaBeouf...

Pam Asberry said...

Will do, S.M.!